2001 rx300-- the "vsc" light on my dash is on..

Tina Carfagno
95

Asked by Tina Aug 17, 2009 at 07:42 PM about the 2001 Lexus RX 300

my "vsc" light on my dash is on. what's it  mean? what do i do to fix and how much will it cost?

John Orlando
585

Is you VSC light on by itself, or is it on with a Check Engine Light as well. If it is just the VSC light then you need a Zero-Point calibration. This is supposed to be only done at a toyota/lexus dealer. They take out the VSC computer and run their diagnostics program and reset and configure(calibrate) your vehicles VSC. I personally would disconnect both battery terminals for at least an hour, even better overnight, this should allow enough time to have all the electricity drain completely from those computers. Hopefully this would reset everything. I would try this before going to the dealer, try to save some money. If it is the VSC and CEL(Check Engine Light), then you would have to get the codes read at AutoZone....they do this for free unlike the dealer and then post your codes up on this forum. Hope this helps.

You think this is helpful.
mrsvirtuous
315

The code that I'm receiving with the VSC light and Check engine light on together is p1135. I've checked all hoses and changed the 02 sensor, bank 1 sensor 1. had the codes erased and they still come back, what else could it be?

kevcam001
190

check the vacuum hoses on the back side of your air cleaner on the firewall side you will need a flashlight to see them. most likely they came loose when someone either checked or changed your air filter look for a metal tube coming up it should go into a rubber hose

Rx300_21001
1,100

I have had the same problem (VSC and Check Engine, Track off - light on). The OBD read by autozone was 1135. I drove like that for one month. Today, I decided to fix it. I checked the the vacuum hole/metal tube behind air filter, which was fine. Then, I changed 2 air fuel ratio sensor (B1S1 and B2S1, Bosch part number 15217, $180 each) and reset computer by unhooked positive battery terminal for over 10 minutes. The problem is fixed. VSC, CE, and Track light is off. Note that the front B1S1 is easily replaced in 10 minutes, but B2S1 must be accessed from the bottom of car and take over 30 minutes to replace. The wrench is 7/8 english size. See photo by other poster.

You think this is helpful.
Darren Larade
210

I have the same problem. My VSC and check engine lights have been on for years now. My Rx 330 has 225000 miles. The dealer says my VSC cable on one of the wheels is severed and this is causing the problem. I never checked into the cost of repairing it.

Tina Carfagno
95

hey thanks for answering, my dad ended having to replace a couple of the sensors and it went back to normal

Darren Larade
210

hmmmm how much were the sensors and since your dad did it is it that difficult. I am a Dad maybe I can do it as well :) hahaha

gshahab
200

We have a 2001 RX300 and have been having VSC, CEL and Track off problems for a long time. We spent $1800 to have all the O2 sensors changed, everything seemed ok. Then came winter, when it rained the VSC light came back on. (I am so tired of repairing his car) I forgot to mention we just spent $3000 on a new transmission during last summer (115000 miles) Anyway back to the VSC, here is my fix (1) remove negative battery terminal for approx 10 min or (2) remove the yellow 25 amp fuse for approx 1 minute. Both of these will clear the computer and reset, VSC light goes off, or at least until the next rain. This occurs because one of the wheel sensors is dirty or malfunctioning which sets off the VSC light. This is not a long term fix but at this point it works short term. Here's another fun lexus oddity, now that winter is here our windshield defrost stopped working, no matter what button you select, it only blows face level. If I push defrost (auto or manual) still just blows at face level. Once again I removed negative battery cable for 10 minutes, and walla defroster now works. Some weird s**t going on with the RX300. Good luck. Wait until you try to replace the spark plugs (120000 miles)

You think this is helpful.
Suex
160

I disconnected the battery and the light has gone off, The car has been to a garage 5 times to get this sorted and they failed as the light came back on soon after getting it back (annoying) So THANKS all x Sue

jomipian
50

Disconnected the negative battery cable for 10 minutes and "voila" the check light is off! Thank you!!!

You think this is helpful.
Suex
160

fault code P0505 was the reason the VSC & engine management lights kept coming on. The valve was seized.

Simkai
90

How do I disconnect the battery cables that you guys are talking about? I'm a Mom and have no clue. Is this something I can do on my own? Is it pretty easy?

electron
90

mom you need an adjustable open wrench fit it to the nut of the battery and turn it counter clockwise until the battery terminal is loose lift up wrap a rug around it to make sure it does not touch any metal part and wait for whatever time and reverse the procedure.

electron
90

I found out after reading some answers that hoses were not connected after wallmart replace the air filter. looking directly after the air filter one hose leading to a metal tube was disconnected and an elbow type tube was not into placed {behind the air filter] into the filter assy SHODY WALLMART WKMANSHIP it can cot you $$$$$$

You think this is helpful.
Suex
160

I had the sensor replaced and it wasn't that so had the valve unit cleaned out and they found the valve was seized, they managed to get it cleaned up and got the valve working (thankfully) as a new valve unit would have cost over £300.00. The car now runs a lot better,,, revs have dropped and the fuel economy is very much improved. The cost of having this sorted out was £100.00.

jewelzzz
30

I have a 2007 RX350 and I have never been so disappointed with a car like I am with this one. Just over $12,000.00 worth of work in the past 2 years. I wasn't counting before that but there is ALWAYS something wrong with it. Is it normal to have to replace 6 O2 sensors in 18 months? Or 5 tire pressure sensors, power steering rack, rear hub & bearing assembly, steering wheel main shaft, ignition coil, inner and outer tie rod ends, 2 full sets of front and back breaks on top of regular oil changes and check-ups every 3 months? It only has 83,500miles on it, I'm not a long distance or crazy driver. I will never buy another Lexus, their no lemon law has severe "glitches".

Suex
160

I would be getting rid of the car, mine is a 52 reg and not been a bad car (I like it) it has not cost anything really in repairs I have it serviced and thats it for a year

tamburellom
10

I'M CONVINCED THAT THE DEALER OR WHOMEVER YOU TOOK THE CAR TO MILKED YOU ON A LOT OF UNNEADED REPAIRS, especially if you are a woman. It's happenedto and mom and my sisters lots of times and really upsets me.

DinoB
0

Great site, I found this page because my VSC light came on, going to disconnect battery over night and see what happens, if that doesn't fix it, there's a lot of useful info here. I'm a pretty good backyard mechanic so I confident I can handle any of these suggestions. Thanks

fhjamison
10

I had a severed sensor cable on the right rear wheel, which I was able to splice and that cured the problem

Suex
160

I had a plastic plug that had cracked and when the car got warm the lights came on, I had the plug replaced for £70.00 and it is right now (happy motoring now) lol Thanks

Suex
160

I have a service contract with my local lexus dealer which cost me £22.00 per month over a 3 year period, I get all my services intermediate and full so I think this is a good deal as someone I know paid nearly £800.00 for a full service and cam belt change. So it is worth asking your dealer about special offers they have on servicing. They tell me about any problems with my car so I can get it sorted at my local garage (cheaper) and not at the dealers.

Lexus_RX400H_2006
0

I had left my car running with the heat on minmally for my mom, while I went into a medical supply store to grab supplies for after a procedures. Her heater seat was probably on half way and when I walked back to the car, I noticed I had left the lights on. Gone for probably 15-20 minutes. She said the radio and dashboard lights had just gone off. Check SVC light was on. Tried to restart car from the on position. No luck. Same SVC light. Turned key all the way off, then tried restart. No luck; same light. I turned the key position off and waited 5-10 minutes. Car started with no SVC light. Called dealer. Said car battery (not the major one for the Rx400H (2006 with 110K miles) might be getting low. Normally, if I am sitting in the car in a similar position, drawing power and not driving, the car motor kicks in for power generation. I presume this did not happen when I got the SVC light. Dealer said I could have damaged the major battery (the $6K one). When I drive the car, it is normally 25 miles at normal highway speeded. Been dealer maintained. Just got the 110K service last weekend. Thoughts? Was hoping to get 300K miles out of this. Never had any major issues or costs with the car so far.

peepshatta
0

I had the VSC light issue. Only the VSC light came on. Car starts up no lights then after driving for 1 min or so VSC light pops on . Also noticed loss of power with light on and if accelerating quickly track light came on before then VSC light turns on. Took it in diagnosis was bad\faulty "STEERING WHEEL ANGLE SENSOR" . After replacing this sensor vehicle had no issue apart from steering wheel alignment off which was also fixed. So my issue was resolved by replacing steering wheel angle sensor and alignment.