The engine light keeps coming on and the dealer has fix it three times. Also it cuts out between 50-60. But runs fine. Could this be the oxgen sensor?

wlangford3
35

Asked by wlangford3 Oct 07, 2007 at 11:27 AM about the 1997 Kia Sportage

The engine light came on and the car was cutting out.  The dealer replace a wire and the light we away. The car ran good 1/2 day and then it started cutting out again.  They said that they though it was the oxgen sensor and the part cost $350.00 plus labor.  The car has 85000 miles, auto trans.  The dealer also said that the timing belt need to be replace at 60k, I though that was early.

We bought (1st Kia, probly last) this for my daughter, do we need to get rid of it.

27,095

It could be the oxygen sensor, but it may also be the circuit, if one wire was burnt, another may be shorting out as well. You may want to have them check the PCM, if it is giving false readings or maybe burning out the 02 sensors. I have seen a defective PCM burn out 02 sensors repeatedly by sending too much voltage to them. Timing belt replacement at 60k seems early as well, typically that is done at 100k, although I'm not as familiar with the Kia maintenance schedule. You might want to replace it soon anyway since you have 85k miles. I would not necessarily dump it right now, but next time get a Saturn or something that is more reliable and parts more readily available.

You think this is helpful.
Tyler Palmer
45

yes get rid of it. I got rid of mine. I'm a lot happier now.