what is the problem..

ronsdawkins
5

Asked by ronsdawkins Jul 25, 2012 at 09:53 PM about the 2001 Kia Sportage

I have replaced fuel pum , filter, crankshaft p. sensor,  the car has been to kia dealership, they can;t find, no codes, no c.e.l on. car runs fine, no skip , sputter, a great smooth ride, I am now close to 700.00 in repairs and still ..  sometimes in get in she starts right up...... and sometimes i have to turn it over several times and then she ready to go....

aztec626bf
6,545

If the KIA dealer can't find any problems I would run it this way for a while and see if the problem manifests itself one way or another. Try some non-ethanol gas and some fuel additive for a while and see how it does.

68,645

Right, and do use a favor and measure the voltage on your battery or have a local auto parts store check it out. It might be marginal at this point requiring the extra cranks to get it started. How old is the current battery?

James Warner
1,490

when it doesnt start does it still crank just not fire up? the early sportages were known for the relays for the fuel pump and computer(labeled main) getting weak and not allowing the fuel pump to run after its initial burst to start the car. the relays are under the hood on the passenger side of engine compartment. they are right beside each other when you pull off the fuse box cover. when it doesnt start try tapping on the relay and see if it starts. just something ive seen.