After I fill up with fuel, 03 Kia Optima doesn't start, seems like no fuel to engine

Mary Kanza
0

Asked by Mary Apr 06, 2013 at 05:51 PM about the 2003 Kia Optima

Every time I fill up my 03 Kia Optima with fuel while the car is off during fill up, when I go to start ignition, the car does not turn on. Anyone else have this issue? I have to turn key several times, engines attempts to start then fails, and so on and so forth.

judge_roy

Yes, you are over-filling the tank, choking the evaporative emissions system, essentially choking the system so it cannot breathe through the evaporative canister. Choked. Cannot breathe. not starting for environmental reasons? quite surprised your check engine light isn't flashing and alarms screaming at ya~

45,595

Next time, turn the key to "On" but don't start the car. Wait a couple of seconds to let the fuel pump prime the fuel rail. Start the car as you normally would. -- It could be that when you remove the gas cap, you lose the pressure in the system. If it continues, have the fuel pressure regulator checked out.

judge_roy

You gotta stop at the first click...I know know this hard to do, you just want every last drop of capability and an even number on the pump~

45,595

It could be over filling, Judge. There have been codes reported about the evap system. Strange that it doesn't happen to all cars because everyone crams extra gas to bring the cost up to a round number. Doesn't make sense unless you're paying cash.

judge_roy

oh, the crowd I mix with...that was santoni_the_great pipin' up as I was answering the question, he has no credit cards~

13,075

Sounds like your purge valve, part of the EVAP system, is stuck open. This will cause excessive gas fumes & possibly raw gas to be forced up into your engine making it flooded. If your "check engine" light is on (it should be) have your computer scanned. I bet you get an EVAP trouble code. In the mean time, after you fill up, press the gas pedal to the floor & hold it while starting. This puts the computer in "clear flood mode" & reduces the amount of fuel delivered to the engine. You'll have a faster start up at the gas station. We had a delivery truck at work that did the exact same thing. HTH. -Jim