My 1993 Grand Cherokee won't start

Asked by grammy2 Sep 22, 2007 at 11:44 AM about the 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee

My 1993 Grand Cherokee would not start unless the key was left on for 40 to 50 seconds before cranking. Finally it wouldn't start at all. I had it towed to a mechanic and he said the securiy system was bad after he had put a new fuel pump, all new relays under the hood,coil etc on it. He disconnected something under the back seat and removed some relays and cut a few wires. The jeep started and ran fine. When he took it for a test drive it shut down again after hitting a pot hole. After fooling with it for two months he gave up and had it towed to my house. Anybody have any ideas?

Andrew O'Sullivan

I ham having similar problem. Mine is not half as bad tho. The security light comes on consistently driving. Mostly on hot days. The fuse that controls the dash gauges blows all the time,leaving me with no speed, rpm, gas, or oil pressure. unrelated i think. When i go to start it after it has been ran in the past hour and a half, it cranks and starts for a second then stalls. Mashing on the gas makes it rev high but still run for only a second. After doing this in the parking lot of Auto Zone once, an guy working was helping me troubleshoot we pulled the fuse that controls the security system, tried to start it and nothing still, put it back in and it started. This seams to work, or just pulling it out when i park it and putting it back in before i go to start it seams to work too. No one on jeepforums or anything knows about it, 2 different mechanics don't know anything either. It is driving me crazy. I think getting a new ecu, or picking one up out junkyard and sending it somewhere to relfash it with a newer softwhere package mite help as well. Sorry i could not help you much, but at least you know now someone is in the same boat as you.

This is a bit of a guess but: Try taking out fuses 6 and 7 from the panel on the dashboard near to the passenger door. These control the factory installed security system, which is triggering and shutting the engine down after the initial crank.

Thought you had to use a scan tool to unlock those no starts when equipped with security system ?

Marie Tupy

I have a 1995 JGC 4.0 Have you tried unlocking it with the key on passenger side? The previous owner told me this trick to avoid security system shut down. It shuts the alarm off manually without keyless entry.

This means the switch in the drivers side is not working right? When the jeep was equipped originally with security alarm but not keyless entry, hmm.

Checkout my post here: