When I try and add oil to my 1997 Jeep Cherokee, it over flows.

Bail
0

Asked by Bail Apr 27, 2013 at 02:58 PM about the 1997 Jeep Cherokee

When I try to add oil to my 1997 Jeep Cherokee it over flows.  It does not pour down into
the engine.  It does not appear to be slowly going in, it just does not seem to take it in.

45,905

Are you adding oil into the correct place? In this picture of the six cylinder engine, the yellow oil cap is in the center of the valve cover. - - - - - - - http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/54126458.jpg

45,905

If you have a V8, the yellow oil cap is on the passenger side valve cover at the front end. http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2008/02/25/14/33/1997_jeep_gran d_cherokee_4_dr_limited_4wd_suv-pic-24455.jpeg

45,905

What are you seeing on the dip stick? Is there a possibility that the engine is full of oil? How much oil have you added?

Chris Balfoort
0

'97 Cherokee (2.5L I4 - 4.5qts, 4.0L I6 - 6qts both 10W-30 oil) or Grand Cherokee (4.0L I6 - 6qts, 5.2L V8 - 5qts both 10W-30 oil).