Why does my Jeep Run Hot?

Cullen Challacombe

Asked by Cullen Aug 28, 2009 at 10:43 AM about the 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 with 108000 miles. Some times while in traffic, or a drive through or long stop light the temperature will rise to around 230 instead of the 210 in the middle. The temp will rise even faster with the AC on. However, when I'm moving, the temp. stayes around 210. Any ideas as to whats going on?

Trevor Lichte

First start with the easiest and simplest things to check, thats always number one when troubleshooting your rig. I would look at all your belts, if you have a loose belt that simply isnt turning the fan at idle, the wind may be moving the fan when you drive. Next check your fan itself, turn your car on, leave it in park and pop your hood, look to see if your fan is spinning, if its not spinning at idle then you have a problem with a temperature sensor that tells the fan to come on. Your thermostat could also possibly be the problem, it could just be sticking closed. I would start by checking these things, they are all real easy to check and you can do yourself, dont waste your money yet just in case it turns out to be a loose belt :)

Andrew Sciberras

i had the same problem, your cooling fan is not running when it should. try changing your temperature switch right by your thermostat. i dont know its name but talk to your local parts dealer theyll know what your talking about. it will cost you about $15-20

Some of those Engines just run a little hot at times and it could be normal. But, definitely check the condition of the fan and electric motor. Just because the fan is turning, doesn't mean it's turning fast enough. You are likely going to have to replace the electric fan motor soon if it keeps up after the weather cools off. They tend to wear out on that year/model. It's not too difficult if you have the tools and patience.

flush the eng after you you get all of the Old water out. Then take off the fan an then then remove the old wether pump and and put a new water pump on once you get the old weather pump on a tighten down. then Look at all of the heater hoses if any of them are Bad Chang them starting with the heater hoses and then look a the rest of them. If any of them Feel spongiform put put new on, we you do that Shang the thermostat and put put in a fail safe this way if it still over heat the thermostat ?A lot of times the impale come loos and you will not every notice till there is pressure is on IT. Then a father all of what you did you are ready to put in new Annti freeze to be put in and it has to brd half and half and then check the radiator and mad sure it's the right one and your JEEP should stop running HOT. Ed from Jersey I hope it helps

I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0 inline 6 with 125K miles. I replaced the timing chain, IAC,TPS, Cam position sensor, crank position senor, and park position sensor. I can't figure out why it still idles high on start. I've checked all the vacuum lines. Anyone have any ideas?