Help with the Fuel Filter replacing in a 2003 Jeep Liberty?

mr19th
0

Asked by mr19th Apr 19, 2012 at 02:35 PM about the 2003 Jeep Liberty

Before I start, this is for a 2003 Jeep Liberty V6 3.7-Liter truck.

I have been told that my fuel filter needs to be changed and it is located in the rear/driver's side of the car. Here are the directions that I’ve read and I've put them into my own words to make sure I understood them correctly, but before I start I don't do much work on cars and my vocabulary is not very good with this sort of stuff, but I know what most of it means.

The first thing to do is remove the fuse for the gas tank and release the pressure in the tank. To do this, I remove the fuse, start the jeep and let it run until it stops getting gas and dies. I then remove the carpet in the back of the jeep so I can see the top panel of the gas tank and I remove that by removing the 4 "bolts" in the corners. I then remove the top panel, carefully, so it doesn’t bend and set it to the side. I then disconnect the two fuel lines that are on top of the filter; clean up around the fuel lines and place a pan under the tank/filter. (Should I do this before disconnecting the first two lines? How much gas should I expect to come from the fuel lines?) I then disconnect the third fuel line that's connected to the bottom of the filter, remove the strap holding the filter and replace it. From there, reconnect the bottom fuel line, re-strap the filter, reconnect the two other fuel lines, place the top panel back on, bolt the 4 bolts back down, re-screw the carpet back down and put the fuse back in. Then all I need to do is restart the engine, but that might take a second or two to do because the pressure in the fuel tank needs to build back up and send gas into the engine.

Where have I gone wrong or what have I missed? Reading it, I wasn’t so sure I could do it, but after rewriting the directions, in my own words, it doesn’t seem too tough.

One last thing, can someone let me know what kind of fuel filter I will need to buy from AutoZone or someplace? Again, it’s for a 2003 Jeep Liberty V6 3.7-Liter.

Thanks for any help or just letting me know I’m heading in the right direction.

83,445

Put your pan under the hoses before you disconnect the lines. You will get some fuel, not a lot. Wear latex gloves if you can. If you go to any autoparts store, they will ask you for your vehicle specs and give you the correct filter.

Godfather845
10

u never have to change them , if u buy the repair mannel from autozone, it show you where it is, it in the middle front front of gas tank, it sound like to me u got a fuel pump issue,

Jeff Banko
55

your prolly not gonna find it at your local parts store and they will prob say you vehicle doesnt have one, it does indead have one, chrysler part # 52100402AF and they are not cheap at 124bucks

rodrasastur
0

What you need is a replacement filter specifically for your Jeep Liberty, there are a lot of brands available and very cheap. Secondly, it is not so easy to access the back panel. First you have to break two small pieces of plastic which fixes the carpet on the floor (you just need to remove the two located closed to the tail gate), then lift the rear carpet and fold it to the back seat. There you will se a thick layer of a anti-fire compound covering the access panel to the gas pump and filter hoses and you will have to remove that layer first! I recommend to use a dremmel or a similar tool to do so faster since this layer is very thick and hard! The good think of such a hard work is that once you have opened that panel it is easy to change the filter any time you want. The other way to change the filter is by lowering the gas tank, but you better let that for a professional.