Cylinder Misfire code

Alicia Devlin
45

Asked by Alicia May 27, 2009 at 07:29 PM about the 2006 Jeep Liberty

Hey I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced the engine light coming on and throwing a Cylinder misfire code. I noticed that my jeep would kinda feel like it was jerking through a gear, but realized that the tranny wasn't always shifing when it does this "jerking" feeling. I'll just be driving and it does this. Sometimes though it will do it right from a stop sign- almost like it wasn't in gear but finally caught and jerks. It's really hard to explain. I just got done filling up with gas and I was accelerating fast because the speed limit was 45 right out of the gas station and it did this feeling so bad I thought the car was going to die. I have taken it in to the dealer and they had to replace some kind of retainer valves, exhaust gasket, cylinder head gasket and timing chain. It still does this jerking but not as often or as bad as before they replaced all the stuff. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I have a 2006 Jeep liberty with 28,000 miles. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Josh Ramey
45

iv got an 06 liberty as well. . . . i had a problem wit it doing the same thing but it ended up just being a clogged catilatic converter n after the dealer replaced it then its been just fine. . . my jeep had 45000 or so on it when this happened

Billy Joe Engler
100

mine is a 2007 jeep lib. #4 misfire new plugs and coil pack on #4 light came back on after 300 miles if you find anything new please post

AMSK
35

My jeep Liberty 2009 does the same the Dashboard showed a code of cylinder 3 missfire , but after 1 hour the light is gone and showed no problems , but the jerking remains , to be accurate it happens like this : - no jeking problems at the start from stop . - when above 30 mph and accelerate , at same time jerking happens and feels like engine is gonna die , and he car vibrates 2 or 3 times .- - during the jerking moment , if i left my foot up the jerking stops . not yet taken to the dealer ,, iv'e read about this problem alot , looks like its common , and most of ppl paid hell alot of greens for nothing and problem was not solved . so ma having second thoughts about leeting those stupid dealers into my pocket to suck it dry !! i think he problem would be the same old " Heat soak @ which was very common in old models 1999-2002 , same symptoms i see . have you solved your problem ? please reply to me if you did , Thanks .

teratura
70

I have the same problem with my 05 Lib and I was told to change the ASD relay (under the hood on the right, in the front), I did this and it stopped acting up for about 100 miles and then it started to misfire again, I pulled over and shut it off and restarted it and it ran fine again, so, my guess is that it has something to do with the ASD relay ($14.69 at Napa)

portenio
70

I had the same issue with my 2009 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition. Check engine light, misfire, etc... Took it to the mechanic and after replacing the spark plugs the trouble disappeared for a couple of months... Now I'm back to square one, however, the misfire is not as rough as before. I only notice the misfire when idling, and that causes the engine light to come on. However, now there is no code after the self check diagnose. Any help/ideas to what to do next? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Tfas4U
10

Most likely a vacuum leak. This happened in my Ford Expedition and it turned out to be a hole in a vacuum line that goes from the back of the throttle body to the valve cover. Heat and vacuum caused the line to degrade and suck in causing a hole in one of the rubber fittings. I found a piece of alluminum tubing and took the ends off of the fitting and put the ends on the tubing with pipe clamps and replaced it. Works great.

portenio
70

Thanks Tfas4U... My mechanic had mentioned that as a possibility, however, I think that if the problem was there and gone with changing of the spark plugs. How come it stopped misfiring for 2-3 months, and now is back? Having said that, I will have the mechanic smoke the lines for a leak... Also, important to mention that this seems to be a common issue with these cars and so far I haven't found a straight up answer to the problem. And I've searched in plenty of forums sites.

teratura
70

I actually found the problem. In both the 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder Jeeps, the valve cover gaskets have a short life and as they encircle the spark plugs, oils leaks down on them and shorts them out. Gasket changed, problem solved. Thanks for all the rest of the advice and your answers though!

portenio
70

Thanks Teratura, you sound very convinced that the Valve cover gasket is the solution to this problem. I really hope so. Do you know how much this job would cost? I know the valve gasket is about $40 here in Canada. The question is how much should I expect to pay to the mechanic to replace it.

teratura
70

Here in Maine, my Jeep was still under warranty, I did, however, see the invoice and it was a little over $400. The gasket here in the US was $86, so the Canadian prices may be way different than ours here. Your local mechanic may give you an estimate for it before they do the work. Mine was done August of 2013 and it hasn't skipped since.

thejeepdoctor
3,115

The injectors have a tendency to partially clog. Pull injectors, spray tip w/carb. cleaner and blow out with compressed air. this is the best way to clean them. instead of one hole, they have four smaller ones. Don't force anything into holes......Ive tried the Canister/pressurized type, without much luck....

fixmyjeep
150

i have a jeep liberty 2006 with the # 5 cylinder misfire. i replaced the sparks plugs, coil pac, pcv valve,air filiter,oil change belt replaced, complete tune up and still the same problem. engine light is on and shakes when it idling. please help.

Rosax1
0

I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee the check engine light came on as misfire cylinder 3 I replaced it I also replaced the coil pack and the spark plugs then came on for bank 1 sensor 1 fixed that now the check engine light keeps coming on for all the problems I fixed already I do not know what else to do not sure if I have a leak somewhere but it's thinning my oil out now that my oil pressure dropping anyone ever have this please let me know thanks

pointdoggunner
0

The 3.7 and 4. are really bad about dropping a rocker because of the dirty lash adj. If its tapping and hear a knock...that's what it is..easy to do..buy new lash adj and gasket off ebay.. if your throwing a code 9030? and sounds like that that's what it is..

pointdoggunner
0

P030? sorry

Russell Loveland
10

I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty 6 cylinder, engine light came on scaned the codes it said P2311 and P2314 cylinders 4 and 5 so I put new plugs and coil wires on and P2314 code cylinder 5 went away but P2311 code cylinder 4 is still coming up checked the plug harness that plugs onto coil wire looked ok no corrosion or cracks, so I don't know, the only thing I didn't do was check to see if their is any electric current coming out of the plug that plugs onto the coil wire, any help would be appreciated