where is auto trans dipstick or fill hole on 2000 Trooper?

377Paul
0

Asked by 377Paul Feb 26, 2010 at 08:19 PM about the 2000 Isuzu Trooper

DerekW85
60

Doesn't have one. Drain from lower hole on transmission pan, fill from higher one. You'll need a manual pump, about ten bucks from auto parts store. Holds two quarts.

N8dogg
295

Actually the transmission's full capacity is 9.1 quarts total, but only 2-3 quarts comes out at once. If you,re thinking about changing the fluid yourself go with one made for GM transmissions since the 2000 automatic Trooper has a 4L30E manufactured by GM. The only way to get all of the old fluid out by yourself is to drain out the old fluid throught the lower plug, and refill it through the upper plug 2- 3 quarts at a time. While you are doing this the vehicle must be in neutral with the engine idling AND LEVEL, with all four wheels off the ground. After each time you drain and refill the fluid you should make a quick run through the gears keeping your foot on the brake but making sure the fluid goes through all the solenoids and the accumulator. It'll take a full case to get clean clear fluid coming back out of the overfill plug but it's worth it to keep your transmission in good working order. By the way, yes I do have the factory manual on the vehicle and yes I have done this to mine already and with the 130,000 miles mine has it performs better than any automatic transmission I've ever owned or driven. I recently pushed out all of my old fluid and refilled it with Napa multi spec ATF adding Seafoam Transtune to the initial fill. I think the Seafoam may have caused the accumulator plug to leak soon after which was a nightmare to replace even though it only cost five bucks. After everything was said and done I now have a bulletproof transmission that runs better than it ever did- no slips ands or buts. A lot of work but worth it in the end.

zacharyorion
130

Hey N8dogg... I'm curious what transmission fluid type this 2000 Trooper takes? I have one that I'm working on, and I'm really ticked off by the fact that everyone I ask has a different answer. Autozone said DexMerc standard. O'Reily's guy said Dexron 5. About.com forum said Dexron III, and Napa says Dexron III. So which is it? Lol, I can usually cross reference and weed out the BS, but on this one there is barely any consistency! Any help from your experience would be appreciated. Thanks!

N8dogg
295

Ok so here's the deal with the automatic transmission on the 2000 Troooper... its a model 4L30E made by GM so it's a little bit small for the task of shoving around the 4800 lb beast that we love driving so much but it does the job very well if you change the fluid every 40 or 50 thousand miles. I own a set of Isuzu books for the 2000 Trooper and they specify Dexron III for the transmission and the Torque on Demand transfer case. I guess it would make sense that a transmission made by GM would call for it. If you've ever crawled underneath your old putter you might have noticed that sticker on the transfer case that says Dexron III next to the fill plug on the back. I'm about to hit 145,000 miles of hard driving in mine and have changed the transmission fluid twice with regular old Napa Dexron III/Mecron fluid and my transmission shows absolutely no signs of improper shifting or sliping. By the way I find its better to change the fluid more often with a cheaper brand than try to go 100,000 miles at a time on more expensive stuff. You would be suprised how fast these things cook a batch of fresh transmission fluid. Believe it or not the book actually calls for the fluid to be replaced every 20,000 miles. But who would go though all of that?

You think this is helpful.
zacharyorion
130

Thanks N8dogg! That's helpful. I was getting so many differing opinions. You seem pretty knowledgable and if you have the service manual, maybe you could ponder another issue and maybe help me. So after changing the transmission pan gasket, filter, and fluid refill with Dex-III, the car started to act funny in one way: it wouldn't re-start after warmed up. It will restart if I don't drive it too long. But after about 10 to 12 minutes of driving, if I turn it off; it won't restart. And it will be disabled (like on a timer) for about 4 hours. It's the same and it's consistent. Always have to leave it alone for four hours. I do notice the TOD system "Check" light flash briefly usually. My question for you (if you have any info in the service manual) is: What causes the system to shut off like this? Does the technical manual talk about any ECU shut off parameters? It's not a starter issue, it's not a fuel issue, as it starts up and drives great, shifts great, has power, no check engine lights on... It just, for some reason shuts the system down after warming up. A few different forums talked about 1. bad heat Shielding near wiring that can heat up other parts near transmission and engine and confuse computer. 2. Transmission oil temp sensor getting faulty 3. Maybe I'm still a bit low on transmission fluid, or even too high? Do you think imperfect fluid level would cause the transmission to actually overheat? I'm curious what you think because. The "transmission oil temp light did come on recently" but that was after driving up the mountain for an hour. I haven't had the car long and started as a project. But this auto shut off feature is really hard to figure out. If you could even read to me about the TOD system and see if there is anything in there about auto shut off, non start safety technology that would be VERY HELPFUL! Thanks -Zac (zacharyzoosh at gmail)

N8dogg
295

Sorry I havent responded in so long but the manual doesnt have any specific answers to the set of symptoms youve laid out. My best guess would be improper fluid level which is easy to nail down by getting the car level, getting the engine to idle temp without driving it around and opening the upper fill plug and checking the fluid level from there. Remeber even though this is a rugged suv its electronics are senitive to when things arent right. If thats not the problem its going to be really hard to nail down the exact cause. My best advice to you or anyone else is to go to helm.com and order a factory service manual for your year make and model of car and never be in the dark about your ride again.

Joesue749
10

You guys should check out planet isuzu.com. Most informative site I've ever used. The guy I agreed with gave a whole list of steps to change filter and fluid. I ended up using cast roll transaxle for imported vehicles. I know the tranny is a 4l30e made in Strasbourg, France. If you do the job right it's time consuming. Good luck

Jean Ashkar
10

hi i have an isuzu trooper 2000 i change the oil filter of the transmission and the mechanic put only 4.5 liters of transmission oil and the manual say 8.7 liters is it enough and the trooper went very nice the first day but on the next day the transmission didn't work good and started to slip and when going up the mountain and on the high way the transmission didn't shift it stayed on the first gear can you tell me what to do