96 Explorer possible transmission/motor failure?help plzzzzzzzzzz

ford96explorer
0

Asked by ford96explorer Nov 02, 2008 at 08:05 AM about the 1996 Ford Explorer

bought a 1996 Explorer Limited with 320,000km recently. Today while I was driving..going about 40km..someone came infront of me so I slowed down..after that when I accelerated the car wasnt running/pulling so I pulled the car over and changed all gears back and forth to check but nothing was working..then I switched off the car and tried starting it again but it wouldnt even do that...it would crank but a very different/wierd sound..nothing like click clack but something like mechanical/robot'ish?
I then opened the hood and tried cranking it again and saw that the pully wasnt moving.

Has anyone experienced this?or knows what Im talking about? Is there a possible connection with the tranny and motor? Im most certain its a broken timing chain but what doesnt get to me is that if thats the case how come the transmission gave up on me before..and after I switched off the car it wouldnt start again? Possible that both tranny and motor are gone? (timing chain?) Any chance of bent valves?

Please if someone can help me out with this.

Andrew Gilbert
420

That sounds really weird. I am not really sure what could cause all of those problems other than a broken flyweel/starter/converter. But even then that wouldn't explain why it did it while braking. Hmm, I can't really help much more than that not being able to look at the truck. Hopefully someone else can.

ford96explorer
0

removed the belt and with the bar i turning the engine it was turning good.but i dont understand when turn the key to start the car why the main pully is not turning sound to me like flywheel am i right?if the timing chain is broken i think still when you switch on the key the main pully should turn.do you guys think it could be the trany and flywheel?

Michael McGrail
5,545

I truly doubt it is your flywheel. If the car is rolling over, they only two things I can think of off the top of my head that would prevent the belts from turning too, is a crankshaft failure or a harmonic balancer failure. Although the harmonic balancer will usually not prevent the vehicle from starting, the fact that the crankshaft position sensor reads the movement of the harmonic balancer on your vehicle would create that problem. Hope that helps.

ford96explorer
0

just removed my starter and could see the flywheel abit from the side and tried moving it with my finger and it spun freely...and when I crank only the flywheel moves and not the balancer pulley. What does that mean? broken flexplate? can any one send me the link of diy how to remove the gear box?

Bill Flunker
275

if u didnt already fix this your flexplate is broke your starter is just spinning the loose flexplate in the bell housing, goodluck