anyone know how to get ahold of disc#5 without having to spend $199 for the ten disc set that the dealer tries to push on everyone?

Barbi Burrows
0

Asked by Barbi Mar 29, 2013 at 08:04 PM about the 2000 BMW 7 Series

recently purchased a 200 BMW 740il for my husbands birthday. Problem is the navigation cd is not from our region it is for the southern states as the car has spent its entire past in that region and it now resides in Michigan, it's new home. Need to locate cd#5 for maps in our area and dealer will only sell a 10pk for $199 for regions we would never ever use, what a waste. Anyone know where to look for this?

59,185

Ask other owners on the BMW forums. Somebody might have an unused or burnt copy you can get.

DavidH25

Shotgun the whole thing and get GPS, discs go out of date faster than you can say Jack Robinson.~~~~~~ Jack Robinson.

Racer_X
15,545

Definitely agree with David here...In car navigation systems are a serious pain in the @ss and it's a LOT cheaper to go with a good stand alone Garmin GPS with Lifetime Maps & Traffic (the "LMT" models) for around $300.00-$350.00. I own one and I will NEVER have to pay for a map upgrade as long as I own this thing :) The one I have is the 3490LMT, I believe.

59,185

Actually I bought a late model Garmin last fall on eBay for under $150. All built in automotive navigation systems are expensive. Some are outdated right from the factory. Update when available are expensive. --- In Mrs Burrows's case, she needs maps for her area. Ebay or a BMW should be a couple places to look.

notoriousJ
215

Junk yard got me all of them for $50

MarkinNYC
0

You can go to the NavTech web site and buy a legitimate and updated copy of the right region that you need for less than 100 dollars. It’s worth having a new updated disk because the maps are up to date and the download algorithms work a LOT faster than the originals ever did. The maps get really badly out of date in about every three years. Older than that and they’re useless for all but the interstate and even some of those may be missing from older map software! Seriously, if you bought him the car, get his Nav software upgraded and up to date, too. Some friendly BMW owners will let you have an illegal copy of their real NavTech software but it’s illegal as hell and cheats someone out of their earned money for their work. I would not recommend doing such a thing, ever! Like Grandma used to say “we were raised better than that!” And I do not want to make a liar out of her to save a few dollars! PS: I’m sure your grandma would say the same thing about you!