poor gas milage

erock
35

Asked by Jul 08, 2008 at 02:56 PM about the 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe

i have an 01 santa fe and am averaging a paltry 14mpg! any ideas why? anyone else have this prob?this almost hummer territory!

Adam Morgan
6,245

What condition are your filters in air filter and fuel filter (People tend to forget about the fuel filter, check your owners manual for recommended replacement interval... It varies greatly between vehicles usually between 15-75k miles, with 30k and 45k the most common. As for the air filter, replace it if it looks dirty) Are your plugs and wires in good shape? (If not get them replaced, once again check your manual for recommended replacement interval) Is there oil around the plug wire boot boot(the part that goes around the plug) (If there is your valve cover gasket is leaking which can reduce spark propagation which can reduce engine efficiency or cause misfire) Have ever run an intake cleaner? Seafoam or similar product? (If not your injectors and intake valves may be getting gummed up and you should look into have the system cleaned, not just the cheap bottle in the tank, but also the kind that runs through the intake...Manufacturer's don't have a set recommendation for this, but I do it about ever 30-45k on my vehicles...) Hope that helps getting you started...

Jeff Petack
785

Check your air filter. If it's dirty, replace it. Spread the fins on the paper and hold it up to the light. If you can barely see light, replace. What are your tires set at? If you read the sidewall, there will be a maximum pressure. Set your tires 3-5 psi lower than that when they are cold. In other words, let it sit for a day and then set your tire pressure. Use cruise control as much as possible. Avoid sharp turns, sharp acceleration, and lower your speed on the freeway. Driving techniques can change gas mileage in upwards of 30%.

Adam Morgan
6,245

I did forget the tire pressure, but set it to the specifications in the door, not based on the sidewall as suggested... That=bad idea not accurate to the slightest.... Example= 03' Axiom sidewall max 40psi... What they should be set at... 26psi (Depends on the vehicles weight and suspension, not just the tires)

Jeff Petack
785

OEMs spec tire pressures to what will make the car perform/handle the best and provide the best ride comfort. To get the best mileage and best tire wear, it's best to follow the sidewall. For even wear, chalking across the tread and driving a couple hundred feet will indicate if you need to inflate or deflate. Remember the Firestone/Explorer tire debacle? Guess what tire pressure spec was being followed.....the door.

Jimmi McCard
135

Well I work for a Hyundai Dealer and have a couple questions is it the 2.7 or the 3.5 I would check the plugs, wires, and check your service history to see if you have ever had a fuel induction service it's about $139.95 but on an 01 I am assuming that the mileage is higher. Also I am pretty sure that the fuel filter is in tank and not a servicable item

erock
35

thanks for responding,i have the 2.7 and just changed air filter but thats it for now.am gonna get a tune up soon

Kade Stewart
15

i dont know about all of you but my santa fe gets excellent gas milage.

NWBHoss
10

I just purchased a 2003 Santa Fe V6 for my wife and we are getting about 16-17 mpg avreage. I was very disappointed with this but I did not do any research on fuel economy before the purchase so I guess it is my bad. I am hoping some basic tune up work will help at least a little. I would like to see at least 20mpg out of this car.

Airanda
0

I just purchased a Sport 2.0 2013 with 27,000 miles. It' only getting 15mpg UGH!!