santa fe won't start, what is most likely wrong?

bond
0

Asked by May 14, 2007 at 05:50 PM about the 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe

My car worked fine this morning, then wouldn't start later.  Turns over fine but won't catch. Gas was low, but I put more in just in case, still will not start. Any suggestions?

LouB
19,030

Hi Bond! Here's a no-start troubleshooting guide to help you narrow down some of teh possibilities. Hope it helps, good luck! http://www.samarins.com/diagnose/index.html

Israel Garcia
695

i recomend to check the fuel pressure and replace the fuel filter, cos it seems like a fuel problem

Brae Williams
210

I have just replaced the heater core in my 04 Santa Fe w/ the v6 2.7L and I am having the same issue, no start...ran fine last night and now it turns over but wont start. I think that coolant leaking from the heater core may have damaged the PCM as it sits directly under the heater box in the dash. It is either that or the fuel system, or the crankshaft sensor...will post more as soon as I diagnose. good luck!

James Warner
2,980

checkingthe crank sensor is a good idea but there is also a fuel cutoff switch under the hood that may have been tripped. its along one of the fenders( i tink the drivers side. doesnt happen often byt its another thing to check. if its tripped it will click when pressed(theres a little button on top of it)

Brae Williams
210

After removing the pcm, found residual coolant in the circuit board of the pcm and the tranny module. Disassembled, cleaned, and reinstalled...started right up. Died finally after about an hour of running and now I am replacing the pcm. I think I may write Hyundai a strongly worded letter regarding their piss poor design placement of the pcm/ tranny mod. Directly under the heater box. I know this doesn't happen very often, but if it does happen and you don't have warranty you're looking at 1200 for the heater core replacement and 1000 for the pcm/ tranny mod. Replacement...its a rip off.

Pagi
120

Hi I have a Hyndai Santa Fe 2006. I took it yesterday to get aligned, and the technician told me that my car had a sluggish performance. They recommended a computerized evaluation of $80. Is this worth it? How costly could a repair for something like this be?

me29
1,830

My 03 Hyundai santé Fe wont even turn over but, my lights come on and so does the radio, when I flicked my high beam that was even bright. Why wont my car start?

chassy
14,565

Just gotta WONDER why a 7 YEAR OLD QUESTION (seven YEAR old) - got 4 answers 2 years ago ; another answer 1 year ago ; and another answer 3 months ago ?????........ You think bond has been following his question since May 14 ,2007 ?.......and looky - it was expert LouB that first answered 7 long years ago (and good ole Lou is still in the top 14 ????

cargurus55
550

Hello, my Santa Fe Y2006 has this same problem. New glow plugs, currently changed crankshaft position sensor, battery in good condition, starter spins perfectly but no starting when cold (in the morning). Possible to start only after spraying of starting fluid directly to air filter outlet. Once started it will run all day with no problems. Last winter it was driven perfect without any problems it just suddenly appeared in this winter... Have somebody found the problem yet? If yes please let me know adresu @ gmail . com. It's blowing my mind.

Kay Dobbin
320

My 2008 hyundia won't start when it did I could not get it out of park and I shut it of and it would not start again it will not even turn over

george771978
290

2005 santa fe 2.7L why is there no spark to the plug

Dominic Leduc
110

My Santa Fe 2009 was doing the exact same thing (cranks but won't start). It was sporadic so hard to troubleshoot. It did that once every second week but lately it was once a day and last Friday, car would not fire up for 4 hours....We tried changing the crankshaft positioning sensor but still having issues. We found out that the Transponder Antenna needed to be changed as SMARTRA system would not recognize the key from time to time (anti-thief system). If you put in your key in the ignition but without turning all the way, you should see a little light in the dash that has a key icon in it (sometimes its a car with a key icon)... this tells you that the key is recognized and your car should start... if not, the problem is either the transponder antenna or the SMARTRA itself. The code in the computer after failure should be P1690 or P1693 (or both). After changing the antenna piece near the ignition (180$ at the dealer), the icon shows up and car starts every time.... been around 50 times to far and no issues. Hope this helps

nailer1
230

this sounds so similar to whats happening with our 02 santa fe. We only have the key and not a remote battery key just a basic key. No key fob either. It sat for a few months not used and then we charged the battery, it started and drove 7 miles and back. Parked it up again, then two days later...nothing! wouldn't start again, so we purchased a battery and tried it again. Nothing...just sounds like it wasn't to go but wont. It has a funny little bleep bleep bleep alarm sound when you open and shut the drivers door so i wondered if the ignition and anti- theft system are faulty or something....any ideas any one...?

dirtydiesel
70

I just ran into this issue with my neighbors. i verified at the positive terminal of the starter 12 volts were present. i then verified at the signal wire 12 volts were present when key was in the crank position. So i did naturally what any mechanic would do and call a starter. After installing new starter the same thing. WTF over!!!!! I then measured voltage drop on the constant terminal of the starter when cranking and verified a drop from 12.6 to 12.1 volts good. measured voltage drop on both grounds one from engine block to p\s fender well, 12.6 to 12.1. Voltage drop from battery negative cable to fender well the same. what is going on here I said. All connections are clean and all measures are good and unit only has 60,000 miles. For shits and giggles i decided to remove both grounds from the fenders and remove the paint with a piece of sand paper to bare metal and reattach. Unit started with no issues. the paint between the ground cables and terminal ends was too much. Why now after 60,000 miles I have no clue and wish I did.

WolfmanRandy
15

I just had my 2010 Santa Fe with a 2 month old battery refuse to start. It would just click-click-click. I tried jumping it to no avail multiple times and ended up getting towed to the dealership. Turns out they have a battery sensor on the negative terminal that can be "damaged easily by mechanical stress", meaning that if it gets bonked or wet it will just fail. When this sensor fails it breaks the circuit to ground, disabling the ability to start the vehicle. My battery was totally good. Works like a champ now with a new sensor. I found nothing about this online when I had the problem and hope to post about it as much as possible to get the word out, so people can get on with their lives. My best guess to fix this in the event it happens to you is to use jumper cables to link the negative terminal of the battery to the frame of the vehicle, as the visible cable that usually connects to ground has this broken sensor in it and does not work.

Fsaaf Christians
30

My Santa fe 2001 ran all day. came home stopped. 10min later attempted to start but would not start. All cables checard secure. USED JUMPSTART BUT WOULD NOT START.TRIED 2 TIMES WITHOUT SUCCESS. I WILL TRY AGAIN IN AM. ANY QUICK ANSWER.......

edgardo9910
30

i have a santa fe 2003 wont start .replace fuel pump .crank sensor ,buy an used computer and nothing .check all the relays in the engine compartment and .nothing .dont have injector pulse and dont have ignicion coil voltaje . any ideas who have the same problem