Every time I go for gas the pump shuts off even though I am on empty. Please help !

Pf8223
0

Asked by Pf8223 Jan 26, 2013 at 06:36 AM about the 2010 Ford Edge

DavidH25

First, do you go to the same gas station and use the same pump and nozzle everytime? If so, try raising the nozzle as high as you can in the air and let the vapor recovery line drain, There may be liquid gas in it, if so, it won't pump. Unlikely scenario, granted. But, speaking of vapor recovery, if the vapor recovery line on your Edge ...there is a small hole next to the larger fill hole, than is for if you try to top it off too much the gas will rum in to that small hole and not out on to the ground, then evaporate into the atmosphere. Anyway, if that line is restricted in any way, it serves another purpose: when you pump gas in, air and gas fumes must come OUT, and that same line forces those fumes in to a canister full of activated charcoal, that purges when you start the car and burns out through the regular running of the engine. If that is clogged, or sometimes a rubber hose to the canister gets a kink in it, the nozzle 'thinks' the tank is full. Now you say, that's all well and good, but the fix? Either simply take it to a mechanic, (I know, you could have thought of that) or try to follow that hose, usually about a 1/2"ID hose to the canister and see what you can see. Or, get an air hose and pump some air in to it from the filler. gently, not a great deal of pressure, just about as much as you could pump in as if you are blowing up as balloon or something.

DavidH25

AND... If you have Ford’s capless full filler, that deters gas theft with two different ways. With Easy Fuel, a spring-loaded flapper door is held closed by latches that can only be released by a standard-size fuel nozzle. This eliminates the need for a fuel tank screw cap. When the proper nozzle is inserted into the filler neck of the system, the latches release, and the nozzle pushes the spring-loaded flapper door to the open position. When the nozzle is removed, the flapper door automatically is forced closed by the spring. Easy Fuel has a unique mis-fueling inhibitor to reduce improper refueling and siphoning. The inhibitor consists of a fuel nozzle detector that guides the nozzle to the opening. If a nozzle or foreign tube of a different size – a diesel nozzle or plastic hose, for example – is placed in the filler neck of a gasoline-powered vehicle, the latches will not release. If that system is defective, same result. The nozzle will shut off

DavidH25

1

Kimmy6435
0

I'm having the same problem. Tried numerous gas stations and pumps over the last few weeks. Last time I went to get gas I could barely get any to go in and it was spilling out of the car while the tank was empty. It's like trying to feed a baby. Very frustrating as ford says its not under warranty anymore.