Somebody tried changin spark plugs themselves?

pirulo699
85

Asked by pirulo699 Dec 11, 2010 at 03:04 AM about the 2009 Pontiac G3 Wave

I just paid usd163 for spark plugs change at dealer (50k km). I'm wondering if next time I can do it myself and if it is worth the effort. The spark plugs don't seem to be easily accesible, and there is a plastic engine cover (valves cap?).

Jason Zane
3,535

its easy, just look at where the ignition module wire ends. at the plug lightly twist off boot & put in a deep well socket(snug fit) and remove. do ONE plug & wire at a time to AVOID crossing firing order up. put on some new anti-seize compound to ease removal nexttime. see your manual or info under the hood for plug torque(tighten 14 lbs on my iron block).

Jason Zane
3,535

removal of plug is couter clock wise . install is clockwise to tighten. be sure to keep socket straight on plug to not damage porcilan on sparkplug.

pirulo699
85

Thanks, I'll definitely do it myself next time. Do you know what the size of the spark gap should be?

buccaneerz89
1,055

Make model and year of car? Also when putting spark plugs in dont tighten them down hard. Just make sure its snug.

pirulo699
85

Pontiac G3 Wave 2009, the new redesigned one.

buccaneerz89
1,055

Gap is .040 Would recommend to atleast get a medium grade spark plug, this will save you gas milage, and better performance. Look to get atleast platinum plug(that include double platinum). These will last up to 100,000 miles so you wont have to worry bout them for quite some time.

n227329
80

Just did this job on 2009 g3 grab the plastic engine cover on right side and pull up this will expose coil pack, unplug coil pack on right side it has a retaining clip which must be removed first then remove two allen bolts on coil pack, lift coil pack straight up which now exposes the spark plugs, remove old plugs put anti seize on new plugs, gap is .044 torque plugs to 18 ft lbs reinstall coil pack put allen bolts back in, plug coil pack in with retaining clip, snap plastic cover back on,you're done very easy job 20mins start to finish, by the way same engine in 2009and up aveo and suzuki swift so same instructions apply.