cause of power steering fluid leaking?

jre3425
0

Asked by jre3425 Mar 24, 2011 at 09:25 PM about the 1990 Honda Accord

I have to add power steering fluid every time I fill up with gas. Not quite empty, but have to about 3/4 bottle. A mechanic told me that I need to have the "power steering pressure switch" replaced. Does that sound like a legit diagnosis?
I have not been able to find a replacement part for power steering pressure switch. can I buy just the switch or do I need to buy an assembly that includes the switch?
Thanks,
James

1990 Accord EX

wadly1
135

He may mean the line to the switch is leaking since this is on the high pressure side of the pump. With 10+ yr old cars the lines can let go but often it's the seals on the steering rack which is a lot more expensive to fix. If you're PS pressure switch itself is bad you should notice harder steering effort at low engine speeds as the switch is designed to increase idle speed to maintain pressure in the steering system.