how to take out the lock cylinder in the 2009 Kia rio

Bill Hults
0

Asked by Bill Jun 12, 2013 at 10:44 PM about the 2009 Kia Rio

my key won't work in the ignition wont turn it all so how do I take it out to
replace it

judge_roy

make sure it's in park...make sure your foot is on the brake...gently try to turn the wheel to the left-right-left while turning the key back to home position to remove it...interlocks should release, and any mechanical "stubbing" should be put aside, work it for a spell, it will let go.

judge_roy

perhaps when you put it into the off position went too far into the ACC position (not sure how you get to the ACC position)~

Ewaro
20

I had situation went out, 10pm got in to go home key would not start car because it would now not move all of a sudden. No warning. I took it out, by-passed with 10 dollar switch from Autozone till kia got me the assembly. Tumblers for some reason hang due to corrosion, dirt or other foreign matter. Happens when key is forward then fail or like mine after I took key out. After pulling assy I banged on it while moving key and it dislodged and operated twice then stuck again so it tells me it is within the tumbler. Problem is I could not get tumbler assembly out of ignition housing or I would have taken it down to locksmith and had cylinder reconditioned and put it back in. But no you have to cut the housing on the ignition assembly which would do who knows what.

Ewaro
20

Kia is easy to hotwire because it has no anti-theft like Jesus Chrysler cars. BTW the hardest thing with all this was doing everything I could with it to try and get home, because I really wanted to get home that night, but everyone I talked to would always say "Did You Do This" ARRRGGGHHHH No Im a complete moron, I turned the key and it did not move so I sat there for three months contemplating what to do, REALLY you don't think I tried >>>>>>>..............>>>>>>> Of course I did. I wiggled, jiggled, shaked, bang, thumped, hit, caressed, kissed, swore at, yelled at, rubbed nicely and evily at it before I told anyone and all they think is I did nothing, heh