How to remove the back seat?

Charles_Mann
15

Asked by Sep 22, 2009 at 04:44 PM about the 1997 Honda Accord

My passenger lost a key while sitting on the back seat and we think it went all the way down the seat. Does anybody know how to remove the back seat completely? I tried to pull it out but there seem to be some hidden clips holding the middle and both sides of the seat. Thanks

Steve Hayes
175

it should jus pull right out. Did u try liftin up on the bottom of the seat? cuz the bench seat is not bolted down

Charles_Mann
15

Thanks Steve! Yes, i tried everything and it just won't come up that easy. I noticed it has three clips, one in the middle rear and one on each side on the front but there's no way i can see them to find out how to release them. I'm sorry for bothering with this but i just tried everything and i'll feel like a fool to bring the car to the shop for such a small thing like this. Thanks again!

Steve Hayes
175

o ur not bothering me man, i dont mind helpin ive been a car mechanic for 8yrs now. im surprised it doesnt lift up cuz i own a 2002 accord ex sedan n mine jus lifts up, and i used 2 own a 91 accord wagon n it was the same style, jus lift up. the only other thang i can think of is are there any little straps by the seat? cuz if there is youd have 2 pull on tha strap as ur lift up on the seat. otherwise take it 2 a bodyshop or sumbody that work on car stereo's cuz there used 2 takin back seats apart.

Best Answer
Steve Hayes
175

look on the back of bench seat, u might not b able 2 see it so jus run ur hands thru it n see if u feel a strap n there should b 2 of em if my memory is correct. its all cumin back 2 me

Charles_Mann
15

Thanks again Steve! The seat doesn't have any straps, they're more like clips holding onto the springs of the seat. I thought it was going to be as easy as many other cars and just lift up. Anyway, i guess you're right and i'd better get the car to the shop and have somebody to do it for me and while they're at it, clean underneath the seat which i think it really needs it.

Brandon Leak
45

The three clips you feel might be the secret. I have had several GM, Ford and two Honda's. If you push in on the front of the seat it will release the three clips and then it should release the seat bottom. As Steve has said, it will easily pull out from the back of the seat bottom once the clips are released. My 87 Ford LTD, 84 Chevy Celebrity, 84 Chevy Cavalier, 00 Honda Accord, and 90 Cadillac Seville are/were all that way.

dhester
50

On a 2007 accord ex coupe, there are two black catches located under the front part of the back seat, close to the edge, centered one on each side. Those catches pull foward and release the seat. I wasn't able to get the seat all the way out (I was only putting seating covers on so not concerned about a total removal), but it will allow you to slide the base seat out.

collin_coffelt
20

In Gen I Cavs, the bench is bolted down. The 13mm heads are located at the bottom of the vertical face at carpet and about the midpoint of each passenger position. The backrest has retainer clips. It requires some force to pop them out and then back in.

zsevern
245

There is a single 10mm bolt centered at the back of the seat pad. Pull the cushion a bit to get a clear line at it. Once it's removed then you can lift the back of the seat pad up and then fold it forward a bit, this will free the two front hooks and let you lift it out and clear.

vovan8952
20

Honda Accord 2004 - just confirmed , the 10 mm bolt behind double clip to safety belts hold the seat . You need an pretty long extension to reach there. On the front of the seat there two locks -you'll need to pull the head with a screwdriver to release the locking mechanism.

Edward Vush
0

Well I need to know on a 1993 Honda accord . Do I have to take out the back seat to to do rear struts. Do you know

Edward Vush
0

Hope I get answer soon thanks