My 1998 odyssey transmission tends to jerk whenever I accelerate or brake.

scubaskydiver
0

Asked by scubaskydiver Apr 29, 2007 at 07:00 PM about the 1998 Honda Odyssey

Whenever I change gears (such as shifting from park to drive or park to reverse) my vehicle jerks forward.  When approaching a stop light/sign and I press on the brakes lightly, it jerks forward.  The same occurs when attempting to accelerate (slowly) when the light turns green.  I have taken my car to several mechanics and I have been given different solutions depending on who I take the car for suggestion.  For example, Honda dealership informed the transmission must be replaced.  Firestone states it's not the transmission however it is a faulty chip next to the transmission that causing the jerking motion and the chip cost $5-6 thousand dollars.  Yes, that is correct - the amount is not a typo!  What is the solution?  I do not want to replace the transmission and later found it I must replace something else.  PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21,075

Well, it could be the transmission slipping which would cause it to catch and make the car surge forward. But it could be a number of other things. It could be an improperly functioning fuel pump or intake manifold. Or the fuel injector. Unfortunately, i have to be honest, a Honda dealer and a mechanic who has taken a look at the car is probably going to know more about the problem than I would. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

iceblue98
0

I have a similar problem, caused me to crash into my garage door, I hadn't driven it in a while when is tried to ease closer to the door it accelerated and bang. I have had my transmission repaired (reconditioned) and that seemed to have been the source of the problem, of course this was after the warranty period for the repair. Have you had any success with a diagnosis?