1999 Honda Civic Dies while driving

nicknyny2002
0

Asked by nicknyny2002 Jul 12, 2008 at 08:47 AM about the 1999 Honda Civic

i have a 1999 honda civic ex which has 165,000 miles.  Within the last few months the car will shutoff while driving.  i have no power steering, nothing.  i have to pull the car to side of the road and put the car in nuetral to start.  Sometimes it will start right away and other times it will take about 5 to 10 turns of the ignition.  I brought it to the mechanic and he replaced the battery and battery end and the coalate temp sensor. work fine for a few days and then the same thing happened

Fleabag
330

My car has been doing the same thing! Have replaced ignition, timing belt, battery, spark plugs. Died 3 times yesterday and had to wait 5 minutes to restart. if you find out what this is please let me know!

miamiplaya10
280

im pretty sure its the ignition coil.. i have a 98 integra that will just shut off while driving. lights and radio stay on but no motor. it is an automatic. take about 5 minutes of turning over before it will.. seems like it does it when it gets warm.. i will have coil changed monday.. if anyone know whats wrong message me at miamiplaya10@aol.com thanks.

You think this is helpful.
omr1964impala
180

had a 1993 honda civic lx same problem, i replaced the whole distrbuter , has not died once since then.

jason77777
280

I have the same problem, I have changed the ignition coil, main relay,fuel filter, plugs, wires, dist cap and roter and the fun still persists. The car will start then will shut off after running a whyle and will not start. Im thinking fuel pump now

jason77777
280

What was the problem with your car?

hondacrap
100

to jason77777 you should try replacing the coolant temp sensor this is a problem that i had with my civic and it fixed it forever after i replaced all the stuff you replaced. as well. i bought a fuel pump $100 from napa (non-returnable part) and it still didnt fix it. buy the coolant temp sensor about $10 and save your self the hastle. good luck!

William Brown
105

The distributor sounds about right... if it keeps dying after you get the ignition coil changed I would definitely do the distributor next.

Thomas Seaton
145

did you ever get it fixed?

Boxer1982
70

Armando Sanchez Mortgage Banker/ Realtor Had the same problem. Main relay >40$ You can also do a search and take it apart to resolder the board in there. The thing is usually up under dash, look up from foot area, about 3/4 size pack of cigs. black and should be marked relay main. The metal soldering cracks, and when the cracks expand from heat a connection will be lost. On mine the fuel pump, which i could tell because no whirring noise from the trunk sometimes at startup, sounds like you have the same dealio • The top suspect, based on the symptoms and the odds, is the main relay (basically, the fuel pump relay). See the sources for further information. Your suspicion of the ignition switch was a good one, though.

Joseph Gahol
1,055

change the/distributor/alternator and check the high tension wires for cuts, if you see any damage just buy a new set...you have to change the spark plugs if you have to..you should replace the whole igniton system too, not just the ignition coil...even if you have the temp sensor, it wont do any good...it will not be helpful with just changing the batteries and the sensor...cheap repairs only supress the problems and sooner or later it will all come back haunting you...id rather spend more to make sure that the problem goes away for good...

Joseph Gahol
1,055

i had the same problem before...and im glad it was only the distributor...i had to make sure so i also got new wires...no prob eversince...and if in your case would be just the fuel pump, i would just take it out and get it cleaned...or posibly i'll just get a new fuel pump...check the relay too, if you have to re-solder something, just do so...

You think this is helpful.
stephthewest
70

i know someone mentioned they replaced their ignition switch, but i gotta tell ya, my car was doing the SAME EXACT thing, like every other day or so, sometimes more than once! And i thought it had something to do with the new stereo i just put in, the wiring or something... well nope, apparently honda has a recall on their ignition switches. Mine was replaced about 3 weeks ago and my car hasn't died once!Its worth it to check it out. Its free when you take it to a honda dealer :)

Strictly4AMG
40

am having the same Problem as everyone else does. This Car will just stop running while driving. It will start after 5-10 minutes. I replaced Complete Distributor, Wires, Plugs & Fuel Filter. I bought all OEM parts from Honda Dealer. After replacing all these parts, car still have the same problem. I bought the Ignition from Honda and It re-keyed but did not replace it yet. When I got ready to replace the ignition, I realized that vehicle has AFTERMARKET Alarm (VIPER) which had Ignition Kill Relay. I disconnected the Ignition Kill Relay & NEVER had anymore Problem after that. Guys make sure the car is not Equipped with aftermarket Alarm.

Strictly4AMG
40

i am having the same Problem as everyone else does. This Car will just stop running while driving. It will start after 5-10 minutes. I replaced Complete Distributor, Wires, Plugs & Fuel Filter. I bought all OEM parts from Honda Dealer. After replacing all these parts, car still have the same problem. I bought the Ignition from Honda and It re-keyed but did not replace it yet. When I got ready to replace the ignition, I realized that vehicle has AFTERMARKET Alarm (VIPER) which had Ignition Kill Relay. I disconnected the Ignition Kill Relay & NEVER had anymore Problem after that. Guys make sure the car is not Equipped with aftermarket Alarm.

1jj
50

Check Honda dealer for recall on bad ignition switch

Takoda Fraser
835

It almost sounds like the igniter module only mine only turned on once after the igniter module died, but theres a chance. To replace it take off the cap and the little protection cover and take a look near the bottom of your distributer theres will be 4 wires (generally behind the rotor) that connect to a square plate with a mounting bracket, that is the igniter module. to remove it there will be two bolts on the under side of the distributer that go right into the mount take those out unplug the wires and pull out the igniter module then replace it. All the distributers are different but thats exactly what its like on an ef (1988-1991 civic) it will be alot similar on your civic. Oh btw dont go buy it new go and get it used from a wrecker other ways its really expensive

MCD84
75

I am in the process of swapping distributors over for the fault that i am driving along and my car dies and then starts 2-3 attempts after about 3 min. I have had the fuel pump spark plugs and cabels done If it is not distributor some of the models like min 1999 1.4 civic sports have a seperate crank shaft sensor which can also cause similar problems fingers crossed I get the problem solved no car doing my head in

Brodie Wilkinson
45

Try replacing the distributor and the little rotor on it as well.

SteveoDood
10

This was kind of a rare case, but just recently I had the same symptoms with my Toyota Tacoma. After replacing ignition coils, spark plugs/wires, intake hose, fuel filter...but when I went to replace the fuel filter, I found a dent in the bottom of my fuel tank that was pushing the fuel filter above the level of the gasoline (I had just under a half tank). May be worth checking before buying any replacement parts!

MCD84
75

Crank Shaft sensor Honda dealer part only £ 110 this was changed and problem was solved and have had no problems with it since.

Maconman
40

Mine is doing the same thing! So what is the conclusion? I have brand new spark plugs and a new battery and it still happens. Can anyone pin-point the exact thing that needs to be fixed. I thought this had to do with my car getting hot, because it would happen in the summer. But it just happened today (February) in Utah on a cold day, so now I'm not sure.

Mohammed Amr
55

I have the same problem, already i have a Honda Civic 1994, even though i replace the engine from carp-orator to Injection.

Sandra Brown
30

My car is doing the exact same thing, I replaced the fuel pump, distributor,, spark plugs, air filter, and it still died. Now it has been sitting in my parking lot not starting for about a week and a half a few honda mechanics called me and told me it's the fuel pump relay box or something like that so i'll be replacing that within the next few days.

dedell
305

Honda had a recall on that issue.just under the exhoust theres is some wires that rounds to cose to the exh and rubs against the manefold and it starts to were the cover and it will short out the car will not and also not start .also will stop running anytime when the wire tough.

Darenas
80

Thanks Dedell, today I took my civic 99 to the dealership to fix the safety recall. You can find details about the recall that is causing the problem here http://www.hondacivic.info/subpages/1999_honda_civic.html

Brandy Schellhouse
25

sometimes the serpentine belt will get loose and make that happen... if you've changed the belt and it seems tight, make sure all the parts that the belt go around aren't loose because that will make the belt slip and do the same thing.

Mohammed Amr
55

The problem has been solved, by changing the computer @Takoda. Simply i change the computer with another one that was plugged in another car model 1999. the problem has been disappeared !! no die and the efficiency is very good. also i think that will affect on the fuel burn.

auto_meccanick
10

check your main relay... hit it once.. see if it starts up if it does get a new main relay 1st thing 2nd try checking your altenator take it off and bring it to any free testing shops such as autozone and ect. also tell them to test your battery to see if it still has enough percentage dont touch the dizzy if it sometimes awake your car and sometimes it dies cant be it all i did was grab a new main relay+battery+altenator+all new ground cables there should only be three main cables on our hondas and thats all i did to my 91 crx same problem!!!

katelynm
250

my 1998 honda civic Ex shuts off while i am driving EVERYDAY multiple times a day!! the ignition switch that was recalled has been replaced, put in a new fuel filter (didnt die for 3 days in a row!!) just yesterday put in a new main relay and that didnt help either. please help i can not waste any more money on this stupid thing. id like to add in that some times when it dies it will re-start its self (rpm, all gauges drop then suddenly shoot back up within seconds), other times it will make a clicking noise repeatedly after it shuts off some of the lights on the dash will come on then go back off.

scremo_queen
100

My 99 civic lx is doing the same thing. I thought it was the main relay, so had it replaced. Still persisting. Thought heat had something to do with it bcus never happens in the cool morning only when I get off of work & it would multiple times sometimes. Bf said to replace fuel pump now & its expensive so before I go & buy more parts, what part/parts would lean closer to this problem? I already read the stories of so many parts being replaced..& I cant afford to buy them all at the moment.

katelynm
250

i thought it had something to do with the heat too because I never have a problem in the morning when it is still cool outside. to be honest i wouldnt replace the fuel pump just yet. if you turn your key to the on position you should hear the fuel pump "hum" for a second then you hear a click (the main relay) if you hear the humming noise that means your fuel pump is working. i had my injectors cleaned a while back and it seemed to have helped a little but (unless it was just a lucky streak). how much was it to have your distributor replaced? Idk what to do this is driving me crazy!!

Will Wen
115

i think most likely is the ignition coil is causing the problem, as the ignition coil get heat up like the car is warm up will a bad ignition coil stall the car. thats why you can start the car like a few minute later as the coil is cool down it will function again. which is the reason the car is always fine when is cold.

keeliebee
90

I'm having this problem too and I've replaced the distributor, the fuel filter, fuel pump, spark plugs, and main relay. Could this be related to the timing belt - my alternator checks good.

scremo_queen
100

Thanks, I will try cleaning my injectors first & go towards the ignition coil & distributor will hopefully be final bcus my bf's del sol would just completely die n never start back up, he replaced his fuel pump & it still persisted, he changed his distributor (a remanufactured one) & his car runs like new now. Hopefully lasts. But thank u guys!

cormtho
10

If your car clicks and or acts like it has no juice it is power related. Low Voltage or to much resistance on a ground cable. If your car does weird things when something is turned on like a/c or radio, lights etc.. Check alternator. If car simply will not start run tests from service manual on coil and or icm. You can test ICM easily by taking in old ICM to AutoZone and test resistance across leads and comparing them to new piece. Also verify fuel and Fuel pressure.

Keith Went
315

recently looked through the recalls on my 98 civic. there was one in july 2002 for 98-00 civic hatch and sedans for the ignition switch. the problem is that due to the high current going through during start-ups it wore out connectors in the stitch causing the car to stall out unexpectedly while driving. i went into my local honda dealer today and they said they would gladly preform the recall for no cosl still. i would just have to wait on the part to arrive. the way to check if this recall has been preformed is if there is a punched hole above the first digit on the vin on your firewall. i did not have time for them to change the part so i did it myself at work. my car starts up better and no longer stalls out while moving. the part is 41$ if you decide to just buy the ignition stitch. it took me about 15-20 mins to change

birddog4121
55

There was a recall on the ignition switch back around 2001/2002.........mine did the same thing ...would randomly die...This recall is still active. Had my ignition replaced June 2012 (10 years after recall) at the dealership for free no questions asked.....Call the Honda Recall 800 phone#........Then make an appt at dealership because they may have to order the part. Good luck.

Linda Soriano-Ortiz
30

Go on line and look up recall s. Mine is a 98 Honda Civic was shutting off when driving was a recall issue was fixed by Honda dealership. Look up recalls for any car you have. They will fix.

katelynm
250

the recalled ignition switch on my 98 honda civic was replaced by the dealer before i bought my car. I called and had them run my vin number to verify. BUT the problem was the ignition switch i bought a new one at auto zone and put it in yesterday and my car hasn't died since!!!

Chubbz
30

I have a honda civic 99 and mines is doing that too and it just started yesterday

Chubbz
30

Nvm I found the answer its the fuel pump mines don't die anymore

nrozzidesign
40

Hello everyone, I'm having problems with my 99 civic ex sputtering and trying to stall right after take off from a start up. It does it multiple times before it finally stops then normally 20-30 minutes into my drive it stops accelerating. Has anyone had this issue that could help me? We've already replaced my distributor, plugs and wires, fuel pump, fuel filter, pcv valve, new cat, and 2 new o2's. Car has around 193k miles on it and we had an issue similar to this when my distributor died but it was never this severe. If someone knows whats wrong and could send me a message at nrozzidesign at yahoo dot com that would be great! Thanks!

Ben Hansen
45

i have had this issue before, even racing on a track.... for some of you it may be worse but alot of you overlook the battery... try taking the terminals off the battery and cleaning them. if you arent getting enough power to the engine it will die. like i said for some of you. for others check the air filters, listen for the fuel pump make sure its priming, check the distributor and check the contacts they do wear down.

Joseph Gahol
1,055

clean and grind the battery terminals.. or check for oxidation or wear n tear of the wires especially the one leading to the 10mm bolt on your alternator. its the one that transfers electricity throughout your car.

amcbjb121711
20

my 1999 Honda Civic lx 5 speed has a mind of it's own! For atleast 3 weeks now it either doesn't start or stalls out when it pleases. Sometimes it will start right back up as I am still coasting, other times (like tonight it wont start at all and it is now 30 min away from my house just sitting there.) I have already put a new battery, spark plugs and wires, fuel pump, and the distributor i got from a junk yard that last time i was having issues. I know it is not the distributor, because when It was my distributer my car did different things than wouldn't even start. before i put the rest of the stuff in my car would bog out when i was in any gear than either stall or if i shifted like a crazy person it would catch up with itself. Put the spark plugs and fuel pump in last night and from last night to tonight drove 70 miles. No issues. Car started right up every time, untill it didn't. Than tonight car wouldn't start about 20 min later it started and I made it 5 feet when it stalled. I really think it is fuel related. There really are so many things. I am thinking ignition coil and fuel pump. Any other suggestions?

amcbjb121711
20

sorry i got a new fuel filter i need a fuel pump

droftnom
30

hi all i got a 98 civic same prob. stalls while driving i fixed it lol it was the main relay took it apart looked at the solder it was broke bought a $5 solder gun took a hole 3 mins. to fix it lol good luck all

Inspire2o6
35

I've had this same probably for a few months but they think much of it. The Car would hesitate during acceleration and the car would eventually die. Here is what i did: 1. Check Fuel (Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter, and Main Relay) 2. Replace any of the above if needed 3. Check for spark (Distributor, Spark Plugs, Spark Plug wires) 4.Do a spark test for each cylinder and see if its getting spark, if there is no spark then it will be a distributor issue. 5.Open your distributor and check for erosion around the contact area for the distributor cap. (Where the rotor meets the cap). 6.Clean off erosion if needed and try again. If nothing happens replace Cap and Rotor. 7.If replacing cap and rotor helps then that was all you need. But if you happen to drive and the car randomly dies and has a hard time starting/won start. There is only one solution. 8. New Distributor. Why so? there might be a break in your distributor wires in side which causes the spark to arch/jump around causing misfires and car shutting off while driving. 9. If all else fail then sale the car =] Well i hope something helps, i just know all these things from self experience and i know how frustrating it is!

Jorge Castillo
30

To see if your car has had the ignition switch fixed, go here. http://owners.honda.com/service-maintenance/recalls

Rhea
30

I had that problem at first it would slow like no power hand distributor check, starter, and fuel pump everything fine then one day it just stopped I had to take it to a mechanic. the lower part of my engine wasn't giving enough power I had to either get another engine or rebuilt. I got rebuilt. It had been sitting for about a 11 months. 5 months not working and 6 months paying off mechanic' now my ac doesn't work and my fan doesn't work and now there's a bubbling of over flow water telling me my car is going to over heat even though my gauge shows good so my fan is bad now or sensor piece. I'm mad at the mechanic but he says things like this happen when car sits to long

Hondahp
20

Yes there has been a accedent I. My 1998 civic I was driving up a mountain rd in butte mt my car stalled I stopped got it to start let off the brake it was raw ice it kept sliding in slow motion It stalled again I hit the brakes and no one told me there was a ignition recall it smashed into a 2012 ford f-150 costed $14,000 in damage from a hill slid I had kids in the car

angelcruz207
10

my car kept turning off. Civic 1999. I just replaced the ignition coil. so far so good, I will re post if this was it. Car used to go to a complete stop while running and sometimes took like 5 -10 tries to get it starting again.

birddog4121
55

Angel........mine is fixed. It was ignition switch. There was, and still is, a RECALL on it. Call the Honda 800# and they will fix you up. You will be able to take it in to any dealership an get replaced at $o cost.

JOrnstein
0

I had the same problem my honda would die after driving about 20-30 min and would take about 15 min to start again,I changed the fuel filter, and put in a brand new distributer worked for about two days and problems came back, I read a forum and somebody said it could be the main relay, the soldering inside the relay cracks and when it gets hot it expands and looses connection, if your car dies try hitting the main relay if it starts that's most likely your problem, I changed the main relay and havnt had any problems since

Jorge Castillo
30

I actually figured it out, it was the ignition module inside the distributor. Once I replaced that, the car ran like a champ.