Loud Tapping Noise:2009 Silverado

mpuni
5

Asked by mpuni Mar 18, 2011 at 04:36 PM about the 2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

Tapping noise is noticable when at stop light, when engine is turned on and when im parking. I notice the noise a few days oil change at goodyear. My truck has been with the GMC since 3/15/2011, and still they can't find what is causing the noise. With my permission, they want to get inside my engine for powertrain defection. My concern is, if its not defected i have to pay $2600.00 plus more depending on the problem. Now, i was told it could that my pistons could need adjustment because of the noise. Or it could be at time of oil change. Now with limited knowledge and experience i was advise by goodyear to take it back to the dealership or local owned auto shop because its an internal issue. Please help me. Thank you

Chase Sutherland
4,885

sounds like they are right. it would seem to me that its an internal issue with the engine. it should be under warranty so just take it back to the dealer

Adam Bainbridge
445

my uncles 2005 1500 with what i belive is the same engine as yours... 5.3L is having similar problems, also happnd right after an oil change but he was a bit over on it, his problem is the lifters making noise and weve done some reaserch and it seems many others are having the same problem, always remember a tapping/ ticking is always more than likly going to be a lifter or rocker. if it were a deeper noise or a knock your be in much deeper trouble. i belive chase is right it should be under waranty but if not any work done by the dealer will be far from cheap expecialy when your geting inside the motor. if its not under waranty i would purchase some LUCAS oil aditive or even lucas break in oil and add it to your oil if that dosnt take care of it its up too you from there. also SEA FOAM makes a good product but i have no expiriance with running it in my oil

Adam Bainbridge
445

... and your pistons are fine if its intearnal it is either a lifter or simply a loose rocker unless youve seriuosly neglected your engine and beat the shit out of it it shouldnt be having major internal problems when only 3 years old... shame on chevy for even having lifter noises before 10 years

Stacey Hutchison
105

Have you tried changing the oil again, I changed the oil in my truck when it did that and it stopped, it started again about 1500 miles later, flushed the crank case with motor flush, found at any parts house, it looked and smelled like diesel, which would probably work as well, mine had a sludge build up. It still makes a slight noise at start up on cold mornings I plan to flush it again at next oil change. Hope this helps.

OSCARB
10

wow I would like to say im a chevy man. And for chevy to know that there is a problem with this, and do nothing about it. Is just plain B S . Save face and do the right thing for us chevy owners . I have a 2009 chevy silverado and it has the same problem ( TICKING FROM THE MOTOR) . OSCAR THE GROUCH !!!

Nachofriend
30

Chevy has used grade 5 bolts on many of their trucks to fasten the exhaust manifolds. They need to be grade 8 bolts. Look to see if some of your bolt heads have snapped off and get them replaced. A leaky manifold sounds like and engine tick when the gaskets are cold. The sound goes away when heat expands them.

Amber Ferriss
0

Had oil changed today at Chevy dealership 2009 chevy.....tapping/knocking noise......of course I'm female so I've been freaking out.....hubby said every chevy he's had has done this so he put Lucas oil in so.....fingers crossed!!!

9,625

grade 8 is overkill for exhaust, but yes could be exhaust leak. Have you checked the oil level in the truck? it requires 6 quarts of oil as opposed to the normal 5 quarts. The 5.3 i've seen to be hit or miss for some, i've seen some have over 200k miles and still be strong and some fail before they hit 50k miles. Lots of things can tick, valve train, injectors, exhaust leak, spark jumping, assesories.

m_reid
90

Same problem - ticking or knocking noise very noticeable at idle on my 2009 Avalanche. I have 92K on it and just noticed it after it also began to run a little rough from time to time at idle.

Johnerman
120

46 1/2 years mechanic I don't know everything but I know chevy and own a 2007 Silverado 5.3.Its the third one I've owned and two knocked.Belive me its a piston noise period.Take oil filler cap off and start if it's lifters or rockers (which lifters take up slack and have 125 thousands travel) you'll hear it on top in.Lifters travel half the speed crank or Pistons travel thanks

rafeke65
20

This may sound too simple but if it helps someone else ... so be it ! I have a 2009 Silverado 1500 LTZ that just started a bad ticking noise a few days ago and was driving me nuts. It has a touch over 112000Km (yes I'm Canadian) immediately got it in the garage and the early diagnostics went from mild to wild ... was scaring the crap out of me ! Anyway long story short, mechanic suggested an oil change to try first ... he suggested a Full Synthetic Oil with Dextos (according to GM recommended after 2011's). Thought it was a sham but hadn't gone over ten blocks when all noise stopped (quieter than ever). In the past couldn't see cost difference for Synthetic but it's damn cheap compared to some of the other things he suggested trying if this didn't work ! Hope this helps even one individual and it will be well worth it ! If it works would appreciate hearing from you at rafeke65@gmail.com Thanks ... Dave !

Praslin3
10

I have a 2006 Silverado and mine started knocking at 175K miles. I've been using Valve Medic and it tends to work well to quite the knocking. It occasionally knocks on cold mornings, but tends to quite down after about 5-10 miles and when the engine warms up. I'm at 231K miles now and it's starting to knock a little more often. Has anyone tried Valve Medic? If so, how does it compare to other products? Is there a better product to quite Lifter noise?

Suzannemp
0

My husbands 2007 Chevy Silverado (74,000 miles) truck just recently started having a knocking noise to the lower end of the motor which is noticeable when parked on when in low gear. No warning lights/no oil pressure issue/no smoke out of exhaust. The truck had a 7 year/70,000 warranty that has expired. Prior to the expiration, my husband reported high oil consumption. The dealership is claiming that the oil consumption has nothing to do with the lower end knocking sound. They are pulling the oil pan to look for medal shavings and to identify the cause of the sound. This is a 4 hour job that will cost $400. Does that sound right?

StringStalker
0

My 2008 LT has the same problem and i noticed it after an oil change at Big O Tires in Sierra Vista AZ, But now i have a much bigger problem, It has a much heavier knocking and rattling noise! And i dont know what to do, how long are the warranties with chevy on used vehicles

rafeke65
20

Don't know but my warranty was finished ... came back off and on and I think was getting louder ! Gave up and traded it last week ... took a beating on price but the dealer can now worry about the noise !

kleenamat
0

ive a 2008 quad cab 4 whhel drive got in started the truck it is knocking loudly sound coming from the top side is it a lifter? Any sugestions on repairing it