why does my car make this church-bell clanging noise?

mainecookie
20

Asked by mainecookie Mar 16, 2013 at 09:54 PM about the 2000 Honda Civic

My car, for no apparent reason, will make a noise like a very loud church bell. It seems like it's coming
from the dashboard but no lights appear on the dashboard

49,655

Did you buy it from the Bishop? Does it only ring out on Sunday mornings? --- It could be a spring in the McPherson strut that's hung up on something like the strut mount. When does it ring out? Going straight? Cornering? Braking? Doing donuts on the golf course?

mainecookie
20

funny! It rings when I am driving it straight, not cornering or braking or doing anything unusual.

7jimmy7
10,615

that can be a hearing thing, my friend heard chimes ,it was his hearing not the car ,or a pink floyd c d can do that also

mainecookie
20

I recorded the sound and others with perfect hearing have heard the same church-bell clanging type sound.

49,655

I'm stumped. A church bell sound is hard enough but hearing it when going straight makes no sense. Do passengers think it's coming from the dash area too? Could it be exhaust pipe expansion?

7jimmy7
10,615

the bell housing earned its name for this reason ,not too uncommon at all happens with anything with a bellhousing,odds one in 100k a static current buildup more pronounced in castings

mrmoony
1,990

It could be a flapper-a-flippin to where it is stuck then with loaded energy travels to an abrupt stop causing a harmonic oscillation.

Pontiacacacacac
125

Church Bell sound in a medium pitch is what you get when pulleys are ready to fall off. Pullies held on with 2-4 bolts that hold fan belts or IT COUL BE THE HARMONIC BALANCER. Which is mounted on the front of the engine, end of crankshaft, inside the timing chain housing...you'll have to take one of the front wheels off to get to it. BIG JOB. but not undoable for the Backyard Banyak Mechanic?

fergie43762
345

Check to see if one of your brake caliper bolts fell off and landed in the spring just above the lower a- arm believe it or not this does occur it happened to my wife's 92astro

7jimmy7
10,615

ok a broken coil spring ,drive over speed bumps and observe

Pontiacacacacac
125

Are you going to argue with Captain Richard Ira Bong? If anybody has heard CLANG, Captain Bong was there.