Jump starting

JoeE
0

Asked by JoeE Dec 20, 2009 at 11:48 AM about the 2009 Hyundai Tucson

I left the interior light on for three days, now my Tucson wont start.

I tried jumpimg it, but mistakenly crossed the cables and I heard a humming noise coming from the engine. As soon as I realized that the cables were crossed I switched them, my Tucson started but it wont stay running and my radio, A/C and Heating panel is not working, Question: Could I have done some damage to the electrical/ computer suystem? It's a brand new Tucson W/ only 4000 miles. Thanks      

jml12345
1,575

next read the owners manual. i almost did the same thing at work with a 2009 chevy cube and a 2004 e250. luckally they're both fine.

jml12345
1,575

next time read the owners manual. correction to my last post

JoeE
0

No S**t Sherlock You are a genious next time you post make sure you know what you are posting about and don't waste my time A/H.

Adam Morgan
4,855

Without having a wiring diagram, I can't say for sure, but... The severity of the damage is going to depend on several factors (where the cables were connected, what the voltage on the dead battery was, if you turned the key, ect...) If the reversed voltage was too great the current in the system would go the wrong way and blow any diodes along the way. Diodes are generally kept in electrical devices these days and aren't replaceable by themselves. If this happened, get ready to fork money out for replacement parts. Background blib out of the way... Check and replace any blown fuses (there may be more than one fuse box check them all) If the battery has a fusible link (small wire TYP.) check it. If you still have trouble take it to a dealer and bend over because you're about to get raped. Sorry for the bad news.

jml12345
1,575

i was being seriuos moron. once i jumped my old chevy s-10 and blew the alternator right before a 40 mile trip to the folks for a week. i had to cut that week short to the weekend for having a friend pushed my stuck a-- back home with his van. dont be a d-a-. i agree with adem4753. so cool it.90%-95% of the drivers dont readthe owners manual.

JoeE
0

In the spirit of the season you are forgiven. Merry X-mas

JoeE
0

Thanks for your reply Adam4753, vry helpful. I know this next question sounds a little funny. Do you think I can make this pass under the warranty if I forget to tell them that I crossed the cables, is it worth a try? Or should I still bring the Vaseline. JoeE

jml12345
1,575

right back at cha.

Adam Morgan
4,855

Not likely, but it's always worth a shot....