is there a problem with 2003 honda civic automatic transmission?

scott6666
0

Asked by scott6666 Sep 02, 2009 at 05:36 PM about the 2003 Honda Civic

I have seen references to a problem with the 2003 Honda Civic automatic transmission......what have you  heard?

Cletus Kasady
35

I heard the 6 speed manual's 3rd gear pops out of gear alot.

Joseph Gahol
915

i have a 5-speed AT with overdrive on my 96 civic...pops out a lot when on 3rd...btw these 1st gens are also the first civics to have AT... i have the same problem...might be coz of an obsolete gearbox...brand new replacements are hard to find and maintenance on transmission alone costs me around $650+ (already converted from philippine peso)...

Nate Stauring
15

most honda's have bad third gear, just know the proper maintenance and you'll be able to keep it....get the fluid changed at the right time....every 10000? 30000? cant remember

Hany Fadhil
45

According to NAPAFIX abt honda civic 03 when its overheats the 2ed gear burns so it wont engage anymore, so once u see yr civic overheats shut it down and tow it coz u will need an engine and a tranny it happened in our shop. it came in for overheat, did tune up and then head gasket everything was ok till we found out that the tranny is not engaging BEAWEAR

Joseph Gahol
915

that might explain the popping out and poor response when im on 3rd gear......i had a lot of problems with overheating before...and i am driving a 96, not a 03 civic...more expensive maintenance coz its AT...so thats why...

Joel Martinez
15

well i have a 2002 civic and my tranny is starting to pull

Joel Martinez
15

try the transmission mounts

reds2k
25

if your gonna make the purchase of another gearbox i suggest going oem to reduce any problems in the future, atleast you will have a peace at mind. they have them here good price and customer service too with hot spots to help locate and pinpoint parts www.hondapartsnow.com