Second Gear Synchronizer Ring Problem?

Michael Lambert
15

Asked by Michael Aug 13, 2009 at 11:15 PM about the 2005 Honda S2000

I own a 2005 S2000 and until it gets warmed up, the transmission grinds (sometimes a lot, sometimes just a little) when shifting from first to second, even at medium and low RPMs.  Honda acknowledged that earlier models (pre 2003?) had a design defect in the synchronizer ring from first to second gear.  My mechanic and the Honda company state that my model has no such defect but I definitely have a problem.  My dealership also claims it can't fix the so called problem under the warranty because it doesn't grind EVERY time, therefore the synchronizer ring isn't technically broken.  If I have them take the transmission apart, they are gonna charge me like $3000.  HELP!

Thomas Otto
55

go here and ask this question, you will get a plethora of answers http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showforum=22 Try and slow the rate of your shifting down from first to second. This will make sure to give the transmission a chance to do its job.

Jonathan Weaver
65

I no longer own my S2000, but it used to grind into 2nd as well. I had the transmission fluid changed with GM syncromesh and all was happy after that. Also, this is also indicative of a worn clutch, not spinning down in time.