why did my tranny just stop working no forward and no reverse

Asked by wolfy70 Feb 17, 2013 at 12:52 AM about the 1998 GMC Jimmy

i just recently got a 98 jimmy sle 4x4 drove gr8 for 2 days and boom no forward gears and no reverse. what would cause this to happen and how do i fix it

somehow your transmission was trying to operate with a lower than correct level in there. Go ahead, start 'er up, pull the stick, wipe and check to find that you need a quart maybe, and smell it to see if it is burnt. These things are fussy on fluid level. Now why this has lost some fluid is a cause for alarm. Check the lines leading to the transmission cooler at the radiator, to see if it is sweating red at the connections. May have been dripping a few drips over a long period and did not notice until this malfuncion. Take 'er into a tranny shop if this doesn't help you.

top off to the level shown...with the engine running...yeah!!

well i am a complete idiot. i normally check the tranny fluid before buying a vehicle but for some reason unknown to me i didnt this time and guess what it was dry,lol imagine that. i will trace the lines today and see if there are any leaks like you suggested bob and ty for your response to my idiot question of the yr. some ppls kids i swear lol

hey wolfy70, this isn't something that we call attention to. When I purchase a car I look at the interior and the exhaust. if the interior smells good (no beerbarfs, pizza under the seat, cigars) and care has been taken for the interior it is a safe bet the engine was tended too as well, the exhaust, one must use the built-in spectroscopy to tell if it's rich, lean, full of coolant, saturated with black. You can tell! let's hope that bringin the level up to correct will cure what ails ya-

quite surprised 7jimmy7 did not chime in on this one...after all it's his handle!