Allison Transmission upgrades

A Facebook user
45

Asked by Joshua1220 May 28, 2008 at 09:03 PM about the 2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD

I was about to upgrade my whole transmission... because my torque converter is slipping into 1st and into 5th.... but has anyone ever done an upgrade? Who with? What brand? and did it help?

23,605

I would contact a mechanic you trust, they should have some suggestions of what they have done.

A Facebook user
45

That's the problem... I don't trust anyone here... that's why I"m asking here

Joey Cucura
25

if your transmission is slipping then it may need a service. Any triple disc billet torque converter would be a good choice for a slightly modified engine. if you have over 500hp then you probably want a 5 disc torque converter. new valve body and a shift kit could also help your transmission out. companies like ATS and BD make strong reliable torque converters. they also make super strong fully rebuilt transmissions.

Chuck Sydlo
45

I have had to replace the shifter switch at the transmission once and I know a friend that had to replace his as well, so I would replace it first. I lost 5th gear altogether and had erratic shifting in other gears. The trans is electricly controlled so any failure of that switch can cause all kinds of weirdness. It seems that the switch is the weak link in the Allison.

You think this is helpful.