I have a 1989 celebrity and when you slow down to about 20 mph it starts to chug&die out sometimes kills put starts right backup what could be the problem also has a trans fluid leak does this car have a vac mod on the trans?please help

bailey
0

Asked by bailey Jul 07, 2007 at 08:52 AM about the 1989 Chevrolet Celebrity

31,145

If the stalling occurs after having been at speeds of 27-35mph, I suspect your Torque convertor lockup solenoid (TCC Solenoid) is the culprit. It may also be involved in the leak as it mounts into the transmission roughly on top of the trans next to the side cover pan. Try disconnecting the wiring harness that goes to the TCC solenoid and see if the stalling on slowdown goes away. If it does, a new part is available from the dealer for around $40. Expect 2-3 hours of labor involved in replacing it, a job that should not be attempted if you are a novice, as it involves removing the side cover to the transmission where the valve body is housed.

Jon Hucke
45

My 84 used to die all the time, till I turned up the idle. Unfortunately, I couldn't tell you how to do that on an 89 (FI v carb).