Has anyone seen a Mazda Cosmo on the roads...a museum?

judge_roy

Asked by judge_roy Feb 17, 2013 at 02:47 AM about the 1967 Mazda Cosmo

Rotary engines are groovy, but by their very nature are like a vast fuel/air pump.  In a conventional engine, the piston goes up, takes a few microsecond rest then comes down and takes a few microseconds rest...but in a rotary the triangular lobe seals must go round and round...round and round with no time to cool off a little...this is why we only see rotaries in the hands of those who know how to maintain and replace the rotar seals-

51,675

The first Mazda to bear the Cosmo name was the first 2-rotor rotary engine powered series car. Full production began in May 1967 and lasted through 1972, though Cosmos were built by hand at a rate of only about one per day, for a total of 1,519. The car was also featured in the show Return of Ultraman

Racer_X
13,225

The Cosmo is a pretty cool looking car...never saw one though. However, I DO agree with you on rotary engines though. I used to own a 1991 Mazda RX-7 (damn..I forgot to add that to my "Garage" on here!) and although the high compression ratio on that small Wankel engine offered a decent 160 HP, I never liked the fact that the engine gobbled up so much oil for those triangular rotary gears. Mine wasn't a turbo, but I'm sure that model was a REAL pain, in terms of overall maintenance. You REALLY did need to have a good mechanic who truly understood how to work on rotaries. I'm MUCH happier with my current MX-5 :) P.S. I hear rumors that Mazda is bringing back the RX-7...

Best Answer
Lars Cats
2,715

Not seen one outside a museum yet, they're rare cars as is and I doubt most owners would use them as a daily driver.

tonka_1956
25

I just got a 1976 one that will arrive from Henderson, Nevada to Kissimme, Fl...

Keith Egstad
125

besides the rx7 my next favorite is the rx3