What would cause my check engine light to come on perodically?

RMCorhn
15

Asked by RMCorhn Nov 18, 2013 at 05:48 PM about the 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera

lately when I drive my car it will start to run rough. In the mornings on my way to work my
headlights will flicker and the check engine light comes on. It too flickers, as I drive the
car hesitates then smooths out. The check engine light will come on again at various
speeds as again it starts to run rough. Where do I start with this thing? It has 89000
original miles on it. I changed the plugs recently...

judge_roy

....okay filling beyond the first click....then keep goin' to the cap will choke the charcoal canister with gasoline...the evaporative system will toss an error up there then the CEL comes on.....this or the 02 sensor is not reliably taking readings...wirebrush it or replace it if this is the case...finally would suggest purchasing a diagnostic scan tool...this way we can read the trouble codes and RESET the trouble codes~

judge_roy

...honestly believe that your problem can be solved with a wirebrush...undo the black cable 1/0 from the battery to the place on the chassis ground...wirebrush the attachment lug and the place where it bolts...these here are made from dis-similar metals and will produce a "blue electrical spark" leaving a semiconductor layer of both metals....over time makes UNRELIABLE voltages that vary...and amps available (especially with the Small amperages needed by the ECU)....gets confused and throws up the check engine light....think that your alternator would be happy if the GROUND connection were solid to a NEW battery~ alright...do these things and you'll be happy~