I got off my excursion and the interior lights wont turn off. on the dash board there are no signs of anything wrong. can someone please help me understand why the lights arent off?

Matakimoana
0

Asked by Matakimoana Dec 15, 2012 at 11:04 PM about the 2000 Ford Excursion

Ford Excursion 2WD all interior lights stay on..won't turn off!

61,065

There's usually three types of switches for interior lights. One type is on the dash at the end of the switch/dial that controls the dash board light brightness. One type is in each door. One type is on the dome light. Perhaps one of the switches is turned on.

Fuzzy9
0

On our Excursion, this happens when the back hatch isn't fully closed. Give the rear doors a solid slam, that should do it...

nookiemonster
20

the vehicle security module will also give symptoms of door ajar / lights on, door lock malfunction and a number of other curiosly odd symptoms and can be experienced as well

Estavan Cruz
10

Yeah the thing went psycho-door ajar warning, theft flasher, lights on won't turn off. Something is shorting out somewhere, the damn door ajar dinger drives me nuts going off 100x in 30 miles. Going to take it to someone with a reader and see if some electronic module is crapping out or some harness is broken open and shorting out. I only started noticing this when it rained, and about 3 days later the symptoms go away. I am inclined to think water is getting in somewhere and playing games with the wiring.

Estavan Cruz
10

I read in the Ford Forums that using a dielectric grease on the latches would work. It has not. I started out with wd40 as recommended by some numnutz on a forum only to see my door speakers liked the oil so much they absorbed it into the cones and were toast. I worked the latches at least 100X each and opened and shut the doors multiple times trying to get the damn door ajar warning light to shut off to no avail. I disconnected the neg battery cables and turned the key on to try and reset the epromm chip, that didn't seem to do anything. I tried locking and unlocking the doors to see if something there was an issue and that didn't help. So, I disconnected the two neg battery cables so the fkn thing wouldn't run out the charge on the batteries overnight and I will be making a warranty call to Ford in the AM. After reading on the Forums about all the issues Ford owners have with door ajar lights, lights that won't shut off, theft light flashing, and continuous current draw on the battery after the ignition is shut off I would think some smart fkr at Ford would have engineered a fix by now, because these issues have been going on for years it seems.