I have brake issues and need help ... my brake lights are stuck on.

Asked by nwgal123 Nov 29, 2010 at 10:26 PM about the 1995 Dodge Caravan

I just parked on a hill, nose down, and turned off the engine.  The van lurched forward about 5 times, making it advance about four feet.  I started the van and relocated to another spot, lightly on an incline, nose forward, and turned off the van.  The van lurched back one time, less than a foot, and then stopped.  When I got out, I noticed the brake lights were on.  I just had the front brakes replaced 6 weeks ago, and the parking brake has been virtually useless since I bought the vehicle a year ago.  When I got new front brakes, I was told the rear brakes were fine.  Any suggestions on why this is happening and how to get the brakes lights turned off?

By the way, this is a 95 Dodge Caravan. Thanks for your help!

sounds like the break light switch is stuck in the on position,replace it.if the e break is not working or holding while engadged,it needs adjusting or rear breaks,dont always trust what a mechanic says,unless you know them personaly.

Thanks for your suggestion about the break light switch. I drove the car a while later and when I stopped the van and turned off the engine, the brake lights were off. Go figure. Maybe it's a faulty switch, like you said. Also, I'm not sure what you mean about the e brake not working or holding while engaged. What is an e brake? Do you have any thoughts on why the van lurches forward when parked on a hill? Again, thanks for your help!

e break is the same thing as the parking breaks as for the lurching if it is a clutch,this will happen if you dont set the patking break first,if auto slack in the rearend,a little is normal,but yours sounds exseffeve,if auto ,the break light was probley stuck,once you pushed the break peddle it released itself.

Thanks for explaining.

No problem,hope it helps