over heats when idles.. corsa 1.4 1997

Neil Devine
0

Asked by Neil Sep 21, 2008 at 09:57 AM about the 1997 Chevrolet Corsa

over heat when it idles..drinks ma coolant all the time.. anybody know anythin????

Jason Kahn
55

Chevy made a corsa in '97? sure it's not '87? Check the radiator, water pump and drive belts. Most likely u will find ur problem there.

Leon White
35

corsa is made buy vauxhall or opel abroad

Leon White
35

hi there could be that ur thromstat is sticking take out the therstat and put it in a jug or bowl of boiling water and it should open if working, Also u could take off ur top hose and bottom hoses on the radiator and get a hose pipe and flush ur radiator through. Check that ur headgaskets not gone as well as this would cause it to over heat look for an mayonase oil sustance on your oil filler cap. Failing that try www.migweb.co.uk

Neil Devine
0

cheers fella..

Dan Cunningham
55

Its probably just that your radiator has come to the end of it's efficient life and needs to be replaced. It sounds like it is no longer effectively dissipating the heat from the coolant into the air around it. They don't last forever, they tend to corrode and get damaged by stone chips. The fins fall off and the radiator cannot cool the coolant. If you let your car idle from cold, once the water temp approaches 80 degrees or so the thermostat should open - if you hold the top hose going from the radiator to the engine this should stay cold until the thermostat opens. If it never gets hot, your problem is the thermostat, no the radiator, but if it gets hot, this means the thermostat is working as it should.