Grinding From Somewhere In 4WD On Hills

Quinton Morse
35

Asked by Quinton Apr 16, 2012 at 07:37 PM about the 1985 Chevrolet C/K 10

I've got a 1985 Chevy K10 pickup. I was at a party the other night on my friends farm and needed 4wd to get up a steep hill to
leave. When I hit the hill I noticed a winding/grinding coming from under the truck. I stopped and went out the other way which is
flat and the grinding stopped. There was no viberations or anything like that. I was deffinatly locked in 4wd on the way out
because the front tires were flinging mud. Does this sound like a transmission or transfer case problem? A friend of mine said it
could also be a blown front hub. Any other ideas?

Lenny Hobbs
15

if the hill was steep enough it could have kept the oil in the back of the transfer case or you could be low on oil check your levels

James Winkenwader
45

It could be a lot of things, check your levels to start with, if it is an auto trans, drop the pan and look for shavings, either way, if you drain the trans/transf case, go through the oil with a magnet. Pull your hubs apart and take a look around. Of course, test drive between steps.

Peter Nichols
1,805

well , from the transfer case side of the equation you did not say whether it was locked in 4wheel with the range selector inside the cab . if you just had it in high range not locked the transfer case has it's own differential to split power from front to back axles ( full time 4wheel drive ) But , if traction at the front axle is less than the rear the front tires will spin by themselves (usually just one because they can't use a positrac differential on the front because of steering geometry inside outside radius etc. mainly because if both front tires spun you could not steer .. like typical front drive cars So the front axle has an open differetial and th rear can have a posi trac .. here's your problem .. either the transfer case diff. was letting all power go to the front or rear and either the right or left tires of that diff (FRONT OR REAR ) were spinning by themselves .. were you Hammered when you hammered the throttle ? Also if you have Lock out hubs on front axle they may not have been locked all the way in .. find a frozen pond with ice thick enough to support the truck and have somebody watch powerflow from high to high lock (hubs in ) see if all 4 wheels are pulling ... check your C V JOINT at the front diff also ...

Bradley Bullock
15

your truck probably has the np208 transfer case in it. it's chain driven and the chain might be stretched. if it is the tcase then I recommend changing it out for a np205 and you wont have another issue with it.