how to change the thermostat in a 2.7L 2004 intrepid? Where is it too?

IcemanCrash
0

Asked by IcemanCrash Feb 15, 2007 at 06:48 PM about the 2004 Dodge Intrepid

Could you tell me how to chnage the thermostat on my 2.7L intrepid?

10,405

Hello, Looking at your engine from the front, the thermostat is on the front right beside the oil filter. It is notoriously hard to replace, so I would only recommend starting this project if you consider yourself a relative expert. Best of luck! CarGrrl

Best Answer
DodgeAmpster
100

l'll start by saying this task will be hard to complete if you don't have the right tools. I own a 2.7L 99 Intrepid and the thermostat is on the driver side on the lower part of the engine block behind the left side of the alternator so, you'll need to get under the car via ramps or jack & jack stands 2-4 stands are required. First put the car up then take off the air-filter housing, then disconnect the negative part of the battery. Next take off the upper crossmember, then disconnect the fan connector on the right side of the fan. Next take off the fan, then take off the alterantor belt. Next take off the lower radiator hose After that now it's time to go under the car. Start by taking off the splash shield located on the lower crossmember, then take off the lower crossmember. if you are using ramps have 2 jack stands ready to hold the radiator up in place. Next disconnect the alternator then take it off, after that take off the thermostat housing hoses. Take off the housing bolts which is hard to do and wah-lahh take of the housing and the thermostat is on it. Tools needed I'm not done collecting so good luck: Ratchets- big, medium and, small pliers- what ever works for you Multi-head driver set Sockets- 13mm and 15mm for belt tensioner and alternator. Socket extensions

alpurl
140

You don't need to dismantle half of the front end to replace the component, but it's a really tight hole to work in. If you follow the lower radiator hose to where it connects to the block behind the alternator, under the catalytic converter, you'll find the housing. Just as with the previous post, it's best done from under the car, but you CAN do it without taking everything apart. Depending on your budget, it MIGHT be worth paying someone else the money to do the job. My mechanic charges 150 labor for the job, but then he charges 60 labor to replace the fuel pump. Specialty tools make the job much easier.