Is the 1962 Mercury Monterey 4dr Sedan the most unpopular full-size car ever??? Parts???

Sven Svenski
5

Asked by Mar 07, 2013 at 10:44 AM about the 1962 Mercury Monterey

I'm going mad and I hope you can maybe help me. I've a 1962 Mercury Monterey Custom
4dr Sedan, 390cui, Merc-o-Matic. I still searching for different parts for it to bring it into
a good condition and look. I searched in the internet for more than one year for parts
like door panels, arm rests, upholstery front and rear bench (for example). But it seems
that this car is the most unpopular full-size car from Ford/Mercury that ever built.
Nothing to find in any way. Sometimes parts until 1960 and then from 1963 on. But
1962? Nothing :-( I found out that this Merc is mostly similar in sizes with a 1962 Ford
Galaxie. But for a 1962 Galaxie I only can find 2-dr parts in interior. I'm really going mad
and really feel helpless and swoony. Are there other Ford or Mercury models/types which
are similar in interior dimensions to my Merc? For which other makes and models I also
can look for and use them parts? I would be so happy if you can give me an idea or a
hint to get closer to finishing my madness and problems. I really love my Merc. It was a
dream for over 30 years to get a car like this. Since 1,5 years it is my car but the dream
become a nightmare. I'd like to show my Merc the roads. For this it was built for. To
drive. Many, many thanks in advance for any help and information. Sven

I LOVE this car. many fond memories, of the back window able to lower, us kids were naughty and used to throw stuff out the back window...good times. You're going to want to find a nice RURAL junkyard, many of which you'll have to go to in person, armed with your toolbox....it's a struggle, but you'll be happy once you find all the parts you need.

81,155

Maybe a rural junkyard in the south west Bob. All the 60's cars have returned to rust in the rest of the country.

they are around, just have to go MORE back country, and yes they will have succumb to the elements, my sister and I were sitting in the backseat of the Monterey and it started pooling up with water in the footwell, gram and grampy let us sit up front...I can remember a rather impressive set of pushbuttons on the dash, gramps and I would listen to Paul Harvey on it's AM radio---friggin' winter and brutal to cars with Milwaukee's policy of using rock salt instead of plain sand..eats up the undercarriage in the case of the Monterey ate holes where rainwater could pool up, also the driver's door lock was frozen shut and we had to buy some of that special lock-ease to get out of there (probably didn't think to use grandma's door.)---fond memories...If you find a backwoods part supplier, might have to use a sandblaster to make it all alright.

If you've an anvil and hammer can fabricate your own missing parts....this time from stainless.

62mercman
15

I also have a 62 Merc and parts ARE hard to find! You just gotta find the right salvage yard!!! There's one called Big M Automotive, it's a salvage yard that specializes in fords and mercs! Check there! I'm gonna be investing in a book called Mercury Interchangeable Parts Manual! It's by F.D. Harper and I KNOW this book would help the both of us!!!!! GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael Tutty
7,045

What parts are you looking for? Mechanical parts are simple, as a lot of parts go from Ford to Mercury, and 61 through 64. Finding upholstery is always a challenge, but they are out there. 62 was always my favorite year for the Monterey, too. Big M is likely your best bet, although there are all kinds of other yards out there. There are several members in Station Wagon Forums have Fords and Mercury wagons from this generation. I will see where they find parts for the restorations. They are sure to know.

62Merc
20

Bills Speed shop in Joliet Illinois has 3 1962 mercury Monterey's 2 are convertibles and the other is a 4 door

the electric back window was a design, I've never seen before except the Monterey~....as kids we'd throw things out that and make them angry~

Michael Tutty
7,045

Judge, unless you had the Mercury Commuter or Colony Park, your 62 full sized Mercury did not have a retractable rear window. That option was introduced for 1963, and you can tell which individual cars have it as the rear window is mounted at a reverse angle to allow the window track to follow the back angle of the rear seat. It was available on the Monterey and Park Lane, 2 door sedan, 4 door sedan, 2 door hard top and I believe the 4 door hard top for 63/64. Starting in 65, the availability was somewhat curtailed, until the 68 model year, when it was only on the Park Lane, and the window only retracted about 3 inches, not all the way down.

Thanks Michael...they are rare.

Michael Tutty
7,045

They are, but not so rare as the Canadian market Meteor which shared a body shell with the Mercury, but had different trim, different interiors and sometimes different engine availability

hollywoodhughes
20

hey go to www.macsautoparts.com they have everything you where looking for i have a 62 4door ht that im working on but i cant find tail lights its the only thing i realy need if u know of some that are 500 each let me know

hollywoodhughes
20

hey get ahold of me on facebook if you can maby we can help each other out on this man i know what you mean hard car to find parts for now i miss all my corvettes and jaguars i had as a kid

Justin Erickson
0

I have one and just bang my head against the wall if I need a specific part. I have one tail light...and found another in a yard in AZ. Still using the Caddy lens since they are faded differently.

arts62
0

Check out SMS Auto Fabrics at www.smsautofabrics.com for authentic upholstery.

jukeman
5

i don`t think they are unpopluar it`s just that most people are hanging on to the 62 `s for parts ..i have a 2 door and a 4 door my 2 door is running and i use some parts off the 4 door for the 2 door but some of the 4 door parts i can`t use... the door panels can be use a template so a upholstery shop can make you good ones using these..

badgeboy
30

I've got 2 rear tail lights assembles for the 62 Monterey complete with lenses, and the left side back up and reverse light assembly complete with lens. Any interest?

Dale Mcdowell
0

Try including the station wagons commuter and Monterey. A lot of what you are looking for can be found on these two cars.

bobbynet48
0

I got the front windshield for this car.

bobbynet48
0

Im looking front windshield a 2 door hardtop

badgeboy
30

sorry, can't help you on the windshield

William Taylor
10

I need window rubber for the 62 monteray bad!!!!

Cwhit
10

It may sound odd but I have a complete 63' Monterey that is a life long 2 owner Illinois car that I promised I wouldn't scrap. I have had the engine running but is no longer road worthy I have just been looking for someone to use the parts. I just can't bring myself to sell it to a Craigslist scrapper. I would sell it real cheap to someone that will use it.

Mike Myers
30

where are you and how much does it have transmission in it

Mike Myers
30

i have a 4 door parts car i use for my 62 2door i`ll be willing to let go the front and back seats i might have the door panels not sure..i like to trade for motor and trans for a 1960 cadillic

Cwhit
10

I would like to get rid of this car to a person in need. Not sure what trans, it is an automatic behind a 390 2bbl. The interior is almost perfect as far as trim. Has the original floor mats even. The car is very rusty underneath.

Cwhit
10

I am in central Illinois around Peoria

Mike Myers
30

i live in gainesville ga wish you was closer..how much is it

Cwhit
10

Around $500 I just want it to get used not scrapped. Nothing is really special about it but I just can't see an old car go to the chipper.

62Merc
20

Hello, is your 63 Monterey still for sale? I have a 62 Monterey and live near O'Hare airport. I have been looking for a good motor to drop into my Monterey for a while. Could you please send me a couple picture if it if it is still for sale? Thanks baseball62@outlook.com

Lnelson3
0

bobbynet48 do you still have taillight

badgeboy
30

I sold the 2 tail lights...all I have left is the back up light/lens assembly

Aaron Carabas
0

I have two tail lights. SAE TSBD 62 MY Make be an offer. Brand new from the '60s

Lnelson3
0

Arron could u txt me please 9097303457

Randy Woodburn
10

If your in canada between hamilton and Smithville thier is a 1962 mercury monterrey 4 door sedan in very good shape for sale it's on mud street between the cities I stopped and looked at it as my very first car was a 1962 but a 2 door wants 6000 ob poss good parts or better