Is the 1962 Mercury Monterey 4dr Sedan the most unpopular full-size car ever??? Parts???

Sven Heiniger
5

Asked by Sven Mar 07, 2013 at 10:44 AM about the 1962 Mercury Monterey

I'm going mad and I hope you can maybe help me. I've a 1962 Mercury Monterey Custom
4dr Sedan, 390cui, Merc-o-Matic. I still searching for different parts for it to bring it into
a good condition and look. I searched in the internet for more than one year for parts
like door panels, arm rests, upholstery front and rear bench (for example). But it seems
that this car is the most unpopular full-size car from Ford/Mercury that ever built.
Nothing to find in any way. Sometimes parts until 1960 and then from 1963 on. But
1962? Nothing :-( I found out that this Merc is mostly similar in sizes with a 1962 Ford
Galaxie. But for a 1962 Galaxie I only can find 2-dr parts in interior. I'm really going mad
and really feel helpless and swoony. Are there other Ford or Mercury models/types which
are similar in interior dimensions to my Merc? For which other makes and models I also
can look for and use them parts? I would be so happy if you can give me an idea or a
hint to get closer to finishing my madness and problems. I really love my Merc. It was a
dream for over 30 years to get a car like this. Since 1,5 years it is my car but the dream
become a nightmare. I'd like to show my Merc the roads. For this it was built for. To
drive. Many, many thanks in advance for any help and information. Sven

judge_roy

I LOVE this car. many fond memories, of the back window able to lower, us kids were naughty and used to throw stuff out the back window...good times. You're going to want to find a nice RURAL junkyard, many of which you'll have to go to in person, armed with your toolbox....it's a struggle, but you'll be happy once you find all the parts you need.

45,645

Maybe a rural junkyard in the south west Bob. All the 60's cars have returned to rust in the rest of the country.

judge_roy

they are around, just have to go MORE back country, and yes they will have succumb to the elements, my sister and I were sitting in the backseat of the Monterey and it started pooling up with water in the footwell, gram and grampy let us sit up front...I can remember a rather impressive set of pushbuttons on the dash, gramps and I would listen to Paul Harvey on it's AM radio---friggin' winter and brutal to cars with Milwaukee's policy of using rock salt instead of plain sand..eats up the undercarriage in the case of the Monterey ate holes where rainwater could pool up, also the driver's door lock was frozen shut and we had to buy some of that special lock-ease to get out of there (probably didn't think to use grandma's door.)---fond memories...If you find a backwoods part supplier, might have to use a sandblaster to make it all alright.

judge_roy

If you've an anvil and hammer can fabricate your own missing parts....this time from stainless.

62mercman
15

I also have a 62 Merc and parts ARE hard to find! You just gotta find the right salvage yard!!! There's one called Big M Automotive, it's a salvage yard that specializes in fords and mercs! Check there! I'm gonna be investing in a book called Mercury Interchangeable Parts Manual! It's by F.D. Harper and I KNOW this book would help the both of us!!!!! GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael Tutty
4,065

What parts are you looking for? Mechanical parts are simple, as a lot of parts go from Ford to Mercury, and 61 through 64. Finding upholstery is always a challenge, but they are out there. 62 was always my favorite year for the Monterey, too. Big M is likely your best bet, although there are all kinds of other yards out there. There are several members in Station Wagon Forums have Fords and Mercury wagons from this generation. I will see where they find parts for the restorations. They are sure to know.

62Merc
20

Bills Speed shop in Joliet Illinois has 3 1962 mercury Monterey's 2 are convertibles and the other is a 4 door

judge_roy

the electric back window was a design, I've never seen before except the Monterey~....as kids we'd throw things out that and make them angry~

Michael Tutty
4,065

Judge, unless you had the Mercury Commuter or Colony Park, your 62 full sized Mercury did not have a retractable rear window. That option was introduced for 1963, and you can tell which individual cars have it as the rear window is mounted at a reverse angle to allow the window track to follow the back angle of the rear seat. It was available on the Monterey and Park Lane, 2 door sedan, 4 door sedan, 2 door hard top and I believe the 4 door hard top for 63/64. Starting in 65, the availability was somewhat curtailed, until the 68 model year, when it was only on the Park Lane, and the window only retracted about 3 inches, not all the way down.

judge_roy

Thanks Michael...they are rare.

Michael Tutty
4,065

They are, but not so rare as the Canadian market Meteor which shared a body shell with the Mercury, but had different trim, different interiors and sometimes different engine availability

hollywoodhughes
20

hey go to www.macsautoparts.com they have everything you where looking for i have a 62 4door ht that im working on but i cant find tail lights its the only thing i realy need if u know of some that are 500 each let me know

hollywoodhughes
20

hey get ahold of me on facebook if you can maby we can help each other out on this man i know what you mean hard car to find parts for now i miss all my corvettes and jaguars i had as a kid

Justin Erickson
0

I have one and just bang my head against the wall if I need a specific part. I have one tail light...and found another in a yard in AZ. Still using the Caddy lens since they are faded differently.

arts62
0

Check out SMS Auto Fabrics at www.smsautofabrics.com for authentic upholstery.