Found a basket case 58 mercury 2 door monterey is it worth doing anything with? Is it worth parting out the chrome parts?

freewilly
0

Asked by freewilly Jul 31, 2012 at 08:34 PM about the 1958 Mercury Monterey

All parts seem to be there, crhome is good but some pitted. All emblems look complete and solid.  interior is shot from mice.  motor is like a solid iron anchor.   I have a few more pics.  It has a V8 from what I can tell.  Hard to look at as it was covered in leaves and pine needles.  Anything worth pulling off the car?  I hate to see an oldie like this go to the crusher!

oldtimer37
1,145

Well, there are a few questions... which engine,360 or 400 hp. Merc-o-matic transmission or standard with overdrive; and what about A/C? With these questions answered, you can see what the restored value would be. If you got it running to average condition, it could bring up to $7500. I have not seen any of these go for over $20k in absolute show condition! I see a car in the woods that seems to be resting on the floor pan. RUST! maybe most of it. Is the engine frozen... big bucks and then you get to the tranny. Unless you are a full blown body man, and can do most of the labor yourself, I don't see how you get this up and running for less that $7000-$8000. You will have to decide it it is worth the time and money. I am not even sure if you could make any money just parting it out since you didn't say how much you have to pay for it.. Personnel I would pass on it. Good luck. '

Adam Utz
85

Absolutely , There are NOT that many 57-58 Mercury's around I have a 58 2dr hardtop and a 4 dr wagon , actually its probably a 383 , if your lucky it could be a 430. where are you located at . Also if the doors are decent they can be at least 200-300 for the pair.send me a picture of the engine if you have one and I'll be able to tell you what it is Adamutz1@yahoo.com

19,195

When I go after an old car it's because I like it. I'm not looking for an investment. I think the car is cool so I buy it & fix it. If it costs more to fix than "book value" who cares? I have a car that I like & enjoy. If you like it, I say go for it. -Jim