Front Spindle removal off of the hub..

Asked by jvhunt007 Feb 26, 2011 at 11:16 AM about the 1980 Jeep CJ5

I have a 1980 CJ 5 and I am trying to get the spindle off of the hub on the front end.  I have the locks off and brakes off this is my next step as I am removing the front axles to replace the universals . Any Ideas?  I do not believe this has been apart before ? Please any help would be appreciated... Thanks Jim

Neil Connolly

I'm assuming it's a dana 30 front with disc brakes. So remove tire/wheel, brake calipers and pads, lockout/hub assembly, spindle nuts and bearings, then there will be 6 9/16ths nuts that hold the backing plate and spindle on, remove them pull backing plate off, use a small chisel in between the spindle and knuckle to help seperate. Once you get the spindle off then the shaft will slide right out.