CJ5 pulls to left and right on acceleration/deceleration

Harborman
0

Asked by Harborman Oct 23, 2010 at 10:38 AM about the 1978 Jeep CJ5

My Jeep does strange things. Driving straight it's ok until I either speed up or let off the gas, then it pulls to the left and right. I have new front motor mounts, good tires, brakes fine.   

jakery
45

sounds like a steerring pump or rack and pinion issue....

Calen Weed
215

Oh wow since when did a cj5 have rack and pinion? Its a couple things its old has led spirings that will dog walk and your rod ends are worn out jack it up and grap the wheels to see if their lose.

jakery
45

ah still new to jeep sterring system i havent tooled much with my cj....

Chad Whittington
35

How long have you owned the old Jeep? Sounds like someone could have snuck in one of the less expensive (but still very good) rear lockers. Sometimes they'll do that on acceleration and deceleration. It's most noticeable right after making a turn. Having said that, it could also be as the other fellow says, CJ's were notorious for unexpected movements while underway, due to the arrangement of the front spring hanger. Most automobiles are set up with the hanger in the rear and the eye in the front. CJ's are one of the few that are not so, this, as the bushings wear, causes unpredictability while at road speeds. Take a look at the hanger bushings at the front end of your front springs and make sure they're still pretty tight. Any slop, not good.