gas smell inside my chevy 1964 c10 stepside

c10lover
10

Asked by c10lover Jun 11, 2011 at 06:07 PM about the 1964 Chevrolet C10

I just bought a 1964 chevy stepside c10.  I don't know anything about how the gas tank in the cab is suppose to be vented to the outside.  As far as I can see, there is just 2 short "about 2 inch" tubes but they are just open to the inside of the cab.  Anyone got any suggestions.
Thanks,
Joann

unclbro
105

I belive my 2 lines were conected with a rubber hose. But probley is a vent. I give up & put a fuel cell in the bed, Its safer & looks good, as long as your not trying to stay stock.

Kaleb Barber
5

I own a 1966 Chevy and it does the same thing if you look down the filler neck i bet the tank sits farther back than it really should mine leaks around the rubber hose that goes over the filler neck you just cant top it off and you have to be careful about how you fill it angle it one way or the other and you should no leakage and a minute gas smell. I hope that helped

c10lover
10

Thanks very much for your reply. I did find out yesterday that the 2 small vent tubes is not necessary and the tank is vented thru the filler. I had a friend run another clear tubing from tube to tube and now I have no gas smell. Come to find out, the gas tank is not the original and as I am not sure what truck it came out of - I am going to find a new tank to go in the truck - I will feel safer and also then I can hook up the gas guage properly as it does not work currently. Great truck and my father had one just like it when I was in school. Lots of memories!! Again, thanks, Joann

tsettle
20

i have a 65 c-10 and the filler neck is steel and factory welded to the tank. there are no vent lines, the cap vents and releases pressure, and is why I smell gas especilly after afill up. it woud be nice to get rid of the smell, but I dont know how sice the cap is just outside the drivers door.