Replacing front center speaker on 2000 300M?

Asked by mooose Sep 17, 2007 at 03:37 PM about the 2000 Chrysler 300M

Hi, Does anyone have any suggestions on how to change the front center speaker on this car? I have the Infinity 11-speaker system, and the frontcenter is crackling. Can I remove it without pulling the windsheild or removing the whole dash? I can lift the plate closest to the windsheild, but I'm not sure how to remove the speaker. Also, what can I replace it with? Do I have to go with the stock speaker?

You will want a Haynes manual to help you with this, as dash removal on these is a fairly complex issue. To do the same thing on a Sebring required removal of the whole dash as well as the airbags, etc. Not an easy or amateur job. If you decide to tackle it you will find specs printed on the speaker as far as ohms, output, etc. You shouldn't need a stock speaker but you'll probably want to stay with something in the same watt range.

First off, you don't need to remove the entire dash to get to the center speaker. Its quite simple but you will need to be careful. I know all about this from personal experience. Most of the speakers in mine have torn surrounds so no surprise there.... First you need to remove the plastic covers from the pillars, keep pressure constant, not jerking, or you will break the plastics or cause white blemishes from stretching the plastic. They need to be pryed toward the center of the car then pulled toward the back in order to get them out. After you get them removed from both sides you can remove the black panel (completely separate from dashboard) and have access to the speaker. This panel is easily removed by prying from one edge and working across until it is free. There is seven or eight total snap in spots Now you will have access to your center speaker. With a phillips head screwdriver,(you will need one of those in the shape of an "s" to make it easier) there should be a few screws it will take a few frustrating minutes to get them out but after you do, the speaker wil lift out and you can disconect it. VOILA, now reverse the steps to put your car back together. I found no markings on mine other than a serial number but I haven't looked into it anymore.... and I also have heard it is a speaker you can only get from chrysler. I doubt this but it is quite possible. If you don't know,,,, the crackling noises come from the speaker surrounds(the foam on the very outside of the cone) being torn. If you take a finger and gently press down on the cone and look at the surrounds, you can see where it is torn. Hope this helps you, I'm always delighted to pass on my knowledge

Best Answer

Excellant instructions from Michael. I got lucky when mine failed and had it replaced under warranty. One word of advice to add to Michaels post. You might want to disconnect the battery before doing this. Its always a safe thing to do when airbags come in to play.

michaelo2: What is the best way to remove the A-pillars? I dont want to break the plastics or cause white blemishes.

The Infinity center speaker is nearly impossible to find unless you get one from Chrysler and their price is ridiculous. Finding anything with a 2 Ohm impedance is next to impossible. What has worked quite well is a Tang Band W2-800SL 2" Aluminum/Mg Full Range Driver. see It's 4 Ohm nominal, but that's not a terrible mismatch and the neodymium magnet improves the efficiency to compensate. I had to make an adapter plate so it would fit in the 2 1/2 square slot, but once I got it in it worked like a charm. I'm pretty sure that the feed from the amp is strictly mid and treble, but this driver handles lows pretty well for a 2". The Al/Mg cone and the rubberized surround aren't going to dry out like the infinity paper cone piece of crap it replaced. All in all not bad for $22 and a little work. Also, contrary to some of the comments I've read, having the center speaker (which I'm betting is R+L) does make a real difference spacially since the sail speakers are so far forward towards the front passengers.