Why would the AC cause the car to run and drive poorly?

pimpin
0

Asked by pimpin Apr 09, 2012 at 05:37 PM about the 1993 Honda Civic Coupe

The car has 161k miles. Runs fine with the ac turned off. When the ac is on, the car has low idle rpm
and has trouble accellerating. 1993 Honda Civix Dx coupe

Gordon Stewart
455

First problem, its AC, and AC always robs you of HP. Add a 4 cyl. engine in the mix... has never been a great combo. How long since last tune-up? Fuel system clean? AC check-up? Try the tune-up first and add some fuel cleaners to the gas on the next fill up.

pimpin
0

Well I just bought the car two days ago. So I have no idea about recent maintenance activity. It got a new fuel filter before I bought it. When I say drive poorly, I mean it shakes violently at an idle and it extremely slow ar accelerating.

Gordon Stewart
455

Very cool Redneck, you went into great detail to the few things I asked about. It was the AC that amplified the problem. FYI i've always felt AC puts more strain on the engine then requiered when it comes to 4 cly. cars. Robs you of MPG is what I meant. Sorry. Cleaners were added in case all he runs is regular, which has no cleaners added to the fuel. I've always run premium in my vehicles.

2,545

I agree with you Gordon. My ex girlfriend had a 95 honda civic and whenever the AC ran you could feel the difference in engine performance, it really does put a strain on the motor. Also I believe this year honda has a smaller engine, maybe a 1.6 liter engine.

pimpin
0

Its a 1.5. Not just performance, but it actually died at a red light yesterday. It'll have to wait a month but I'll be doing a full tune up when funds are available

2,545

is it stock?

2,545

lol master cylinder head....as if there were 2

pimpin
0

Well thanks for the detail. I feel I should say that I'm no dope when it comes to actually working on an engine. Its knowing how to find solutions that I lack experience in. That and all of experience is on 23 year 318.

Vel Kro
15

93 dx coupe comes with a 1.5 non vtec motor, its a small under powerd car so when u turn the a.c on the compressor robs the car of power u dont have anything to worry about the car will just drive sluggish happens with every car u just feel it more because your motor is weak thats all