I HAVE A STARION 1987 TURBO ANN MY COIL Ignition OVER HEADS AND IT DOS NOT STAR IN TILL IT COOLS OF CAN HELP!!!!

RAMON1987
5

Asked by RAMON1987 Mar 26, 2013 at 12:50 PM about the 1987 Mitsubishi Starion

judge_roy

not quite certain what you mean exactly Ramon "Coil ignition over heads"...why is this failing? too much power? How old are the ignition wires....left over from 87 could be your problem there, 'cause containing the spark IS fussy, with high-resistance to carry the high-voltage (straight wire would not work). over-heads? gambin' alot lately?

Best Answer
RAMON1987
5

THNKS judge_roy_beans ALL TRY CHANGING MY WIRES BUT THE CAR RUNS GREATE WHEN IT STARS AN I CAN DRIVE FOR OBER 15 MIL AND IS FINE BUT AFTER DE COIL HITS UP IT WONT STAR IN TILL THE COIL GETS SO HOT THAT IT DIES THIS IS A NEW COIL I CHANGED THE IGNAITER TO AND I CAN MAKE IT WORK PROPERLY THE WIRES ARE REALY OLD ILL TRY THAT

judge_roy

pickNpull coil for fifteen bucks- couldn't be worse than the one you have~

judge_roy

Overheats....I get it now---well how would you know that? just curious-

RAMON1987
5

Because when the car turns off I touch the coil and its burning hot

judge_roy

somethin' weird...bad ground on that one, you might check with the ohm meter battery negative to coil negative to see how skippy the ground is~

raumdr
0

Long time since I owned a Starion, but had a problem where the car would just cut out when driving. Eventually it would restart - sometimes hours later. Clearly it was ignition related, but after replacing wires, caps, and coil with no effect, we narrowed it down to the igniter box. The fix was finding a used and compatible igniter box - the box itself if memory services was a little bit bigger than a box of cards, black and bolted to the side of the engine bay - shock tower maybe. 1 or 2 bolts, swap the connector from the old to new, and good to go.