I think my car is leaking gas

sadcar
0

Asked by sadcar Dec 05, 2012 at 12:41 PM about the 2002 Ford Taurus

I have a 2002 taurus that smells very heavily of gas outside the car.  My gas tank does not look like it is losing any gas, and I can't tell if it is leaking onto the ground because the parking lot I am in is pretty heavily stained already.  I HAVE to drive my car...because I am at work and my son is at school over 30 minutes away.  What should I do

John Leone
4,365

well check all fluids, (fuel smell can come from other places), smell the coolant, the engine oil (from valve cover where you fill it), and the old cardboard under the car should work for catching fluid and determining where it is dripping from. that is a start...

5,695

gas wont leave a stain and evaporates so is hard to see unless its pouring out. If it smells like gas then it must be gas, kinda hard to get it confused with something else. I wouldn't drive it with a fuel leak. Check all the fuel lines, or take it to a shop. Fuel leaks can catch fire.