What causes a 1952 Hilman Minx to get hot and quit?

CJL1952
0

Asked by CJL1952 Jun 29, 2009 at 10:14 PM about the 1952 Hillman Minx

Coolant is fine and topped off and it isnt vapor locking. it just will not run untill it cools down then it runs like a champ. we rewired the whole ignition system and has new plugs wires and points. we have adjusted the timing and it did us no good at all

Hillmanall
0

Often its caused by old coils or condensors breaking down when they get hot also poor connection in things like ignition switches fuses etc. Have you checked to see if its a fuel blockage? Is it only heat or length of drive, you will have to eliminate whats is working when it stops it should be straight forward

Frnk
0

Had one of these too way back in the late 50's. Nearly drove me up the wall and into teenage bankruptcy with all the bits I needlessly replaced..... have a good look at the grille..... those horizontal chrome bars have a tendency to "tilt" in a negative airfoil section, causing the airflow to be deflected and at quite reasonable speeds the airflow just does not meet demand. Try just gently lifting the leading edges to eliminate any deflection of the airflow. Sounds silly but man..... it works! BFWL

rustyinpuna
0

Fuel pump needs to be rebuilt.