New Battery but completely dead. No lights, no nothing. Any suggestions. Thanks

orogemma
20

Asked by orogemma Nov 05, 2013 at 03:14 PM about the 1978 FIAT 124 Spider

judge_roy

...YES the other end of the black cable (that attaches to the frame) is Corroded and needs a coarse wirebrush...then re-assemble and tighten...get that stuff out of there ("that stuff" is dis-similar metals burned up by high amperage)~

potero1
10

I purchased a brand new battery about 2 months ago for my step daughter and the same thing happened 2 days later. I told her to return to store with the receipt and what happened is that the store had 4-5 batteries in the last year that had the polarities switched making them useless. So you might see if that is the problem. Just because the battery is new does not mean it is functional. Sometimes in rare occasions this happens to new batteries. It happened to me on an expensive large battery I purchased for a truck I had(that was stolen by the way), but any way the polarities were reversed I was about 19 years old. I could not figure out why I could not get juice of not even indoor cabin lights. My dad told me to take the battery back to the store as it was one week old and worked for a week just fine. When they tested it, it had reversed polarities. Odd but true. Good luck. Paul D. Otero, BTH, BSW, MSW, LCSW

orogemma
20

Thanks guys, will try both suggestions.

judge_roy

oooog fried alternator...toasted MAIN fuse....Blown ECM...must have been a Model T~

orogemma
20

No a 78 Fiat 124 spider

judge_roy

guess somehow came out unscathed....there is a santa claus, I thought so~