"leaking" headlight door covers

rogerr
0

Asked by rogerr Jun 04, 2011 at 03:07 PM about the 1983 Lincoln Continental

1983 Lincoln Continental Towncar has "leaking" controls on headlight door covers.  They slowly open up after car is parked for a month or so.  Mechanics and body men tell me it is a leaking "diaphragm". Dealers don't have them, no website(s) know what they are.  Anyone familiar with the problem and where one can find the parts?

ChcagoRAND
115

Damm, I feel for you. obviously you also tried the junk yards, Hook up with one that can also can do a National search for the component you need to replace. Then if that's no help. You might have to do a little bit of your own remanufacturing. ie Diaphragms use in alot of older engine components have always aged and start to leak. If you can tear down the component to the diaphrapm then try a little bit of RTV silcone on the rubber. I say little bit, you'll have to review the part and decide for yourself what will work.