Coming out of storage

Lookinforhelp2011
0

Asked by Lookinforhelp2011 Jan 31, 2011 at 02:41 PM about the 1987 Buick Grand National

My brother has a Grand National and is looking to bring it out of storage to sell.  It was mostly used as a Sunday car, but hasn't been out of the garage in over 5 years.  He has stored it on jack stands and disconnected the battery.  I'm looking to find out if there is anything special that I need to do before starting her up and driving it.  I would love any feedback.

Joey Warren
170

If the car has not been ran in five years there are several things to consider. I would first pull the spark plugs and spray the cylinders down with WD-40 once a day for a week or so. This is to make sure nothing is sticking. Turn the motor over by hand using the harmonic balancer and a large breaker bar a little at a time to make sure everything is free. Put in a fresh set of plugs, and a new change of oil and filter. Unplug the orange one wire connctor that runs in front of the battery to make sure it does not start immediatly. (This puts power to the computer) Spin the motor over with the starter a few time till the oil/choke light goes out. This means it has oil pressure. Plug the orange wire back in and turn the switch to the on position. You should hear the hum of the fuel pump. If so try to start it. If not the pump is probably locked up and will need to be changed (in the tank). Hope this helps, write me at vicioussix@hotmail.com if you need any help and what he is looking to get out of the car. hope this helps. JW

Lookinforhelp2011
0

That was great advise, thanks. I'll let you know how it goes.

Joey Warren
170

Not a problem man. Certainly keep me informed. Also, one more thing, look for rotted vaccuum line especially the one involving the turbo. Like the one going to the wastegate. If one of those are rotten and you mash on it the first time it could overboost and cause some very undesirable damage. JW

Lookinforhelp2011
0

Joey, thanks for your help. I pulled the spark plugs this weekend and sprayed lubricant inside the cylinders. Surprisingly all the vacuum lines are in good shape. The car has been stored in a climate control garage for over 15 years. The battery has been disconnected, but the battey is still dead. I probably should've looked into the battery first. I reconnected the battery and put it on a trickle charger, after being on for awhile the power antenna motor started running and only would cycle off for short periods. I tried pulling the Radio and other fuse according to the owners manual, but nothing changed. Today I found that the power antenna reley has a continuous hot feed from the cig. lighter fuse. So I'll get back there and disconnect that fuse and put it back on the trickle charger. Am I going to have to repome the plugs and spray lubricant in the cylinders again? Jeff

Joey Warren
170

Probably not, I mean it would not hurt. But, if you already have the new ones in it you really don't have to fool with it. The power antenna deal is common in these cars they did not last long when new. Bad thing is you have to remove the fender to replace it and then realign it which is a major pain! That is the reason you see so many that do not work! Let me know if I can be of any help. Joey Here is a good place to deal with if you need parts specific to the car. http://www.kirbanperformance.com/portal/2/Buick+Grand+National+Parts+and+Accessories.html

Doug Curtis
20

I have a Buick Grand National with the antenna stuck in the up position and the motor for the antenna keeps running how do I disconnect the power to the motor