problems with my grand national starting and back fireing though the intake air filter

Steven Reaves
125

Asked by Steven May 05, 2010 at 08:56 PM about the 1984 Buick Grand National

i have a 84 t-type and it rus great but if i get on it hard it back fires through the intake air filter and after you start it then turn it off to go into the store it wont start back it just cranks like its out of gas up but if you let it sit for 30min or so it starts right up not sure if it a fuel pump,fuel related or somthin getting hot or relay  please anyone have any help thanks

Joey Warren
250

Sounds like it is detonation. If it is you will blow a head gasket in a heartbeat if you keep running it hard! Have you turned up the boost? Do you have an upgraded fuel system?

turbonut
0

i had a similar problem with my 87 GN. it was the adjustable fuel regulator. the small pin hole (which i was never able to find) made the car go lean and backfired through the intake. it sounded so bad. i thought it was my turbotweak chip but Eric helped me out and pointed me to it. if not the reg. it's fuel related. check your AFR reading and see what it reads. the richer the better, at WOT, i see 10.1-10-6 on my gauge and my knock sensor never comes on.